Why become a member? ×

1st gig

hitchy64

[quote name='hitchy64' post='780102' date='Mar 19 2010, 06:36 PM']Cheers for all the tips and replies folks.
The pub where we rehearse, up-stairs in a big room, let us practice down-stairs where we'r gonna be saturday night.
15-20 locals cheering and clapping, all said we were sh*t-hot!! It was like a mini gig.
Can't wait till tomorrow night, I'm buzzin now. :) I'll let ya all know how it went.
Thanks, Hitchy.[/quote]

Good luck with tomorrow :rolleyes: have fun

enjoy it.

(kinda obvious but you could be a nervous wreck which wont help at all, also - depending on your musical style - if you have some charisma, use it, even if you have to make your lines slightly simpler. I'm a boring ass bassist, i enjoy what i play but the crowd dont cause it looks dull)

Lots of good things here - one of the main reasons for all the spares is confidence that you can deal with anything. Ive carried spare pluf fuses for years and never used one for myself!

The one thing I would add to the suggestions above is a soft cloth or small towel so that you can wipe hands and strings if they get too sweaty.

[quote name='Twigman' post='775212' date='Mar 15 2010, 02:40 PM']My #1 tip would be

SLOW DOWN....

now I've never heard you play but I guarantee that inexperience and nerves will result in either you or the drummer getting into a 'race' to the end of the set....LOL

Take it steady

IT IS NOT A RACE![/quote]

Interesting...in my band, me and the drummer are fine, it's always the guitarist who starts playing way too quickly (at least whenever he gets the chance to start off a song...never has Metallica's 'Enter Sandman' been played so quickly)

To the OP, I've only done six gigs before now (got my seventh tonight) but all I can say based on my limited experience is, as other people have said, to have fun; don't worry too much about anything other than playing the songs...in terms of things like stage presence, I wouldn't worry too much, as it's only your first gig and stage presence takes time to develop...just do what you feel comfortable with.

As I said, this is based off my limited experience and so may not be much help; in any case, good luck, I hope it goes well for you.

In addition to the abovementioned wise words, don't forget:

Spare T-shirt
Sweat towel
Bottles water or Lucozade Sport on stage
Posters for next gig, for your new adoring fans to clamour over. Put your website on it.
Marker pen to sign autograph on above.
Contraceptives (yes, it's said with a wink and a nudge, but odds are that if you're ever going to need one it'll be after your band has just played. Do NOT be caught short!)

Hi Folks, some great comments and tips on here, especially the contraceptives. My mrs was there so nothing going on their, well not till I got home anyway :)
The gig was awsome!!!!!!!! So many people, 150ish. All dancing and headbanging and cheering .
I made a few f***-ups, but so did everyone else and no one noticed. My heads buzzin. Till the next one
Cheers, Hitchy