Why become a member? ×

Repairing plastic feet on a valve amp

basshead56

Hi,
I have a Marshall VBA400 and recently one of the four little feet that slot into the holes of the the matching VBC412 cabs has cracked off.
It´s not a huge problem, but seeing as it´s now sitting atop two VBC412 cabs, its quite high up and I don´t like the fact that it ´wobbles´ slightly.
It looks fixable, but I´m not sure about tilting the amp on its side or upside down as I´ve heard these amps don´t like that at all.
How do I go about solving the problem?
Also, is there something anchoring the screw (which goes through the foot) inside the amp, or does it just go into the wood?
Any insight would be very much appreciated :)

If no screw is apparent at the bottom of the footpiece and there is a metal end cover it is likely a large "thumbtack" pull this out and the foot should come right off, I go to my local hardware store and buy small rubber feet like a test-tube stopper, drill a hole in the center and replace , you should not have to pull the chassis to do this, Greg

[quote name='basshead56' post='771399' date='Mar 11 2010, 11:06 AM']Hi,
It looks fixable, but I´m not sure about tilting the amp on its side or upside down as I´ve heard these amps don´t like that at all.[/quote]

It is best to avoid slapping it around when it is plugged in, or the tubes are still hot... but if it is cool or cold you can turn it over however you want, without any real risk of problem (how do you think they made it?).

[quote name='AlanP2008' post='772720' date='Mar 12 2010, 01:10 PM']It is best to avoid slapping it around when it is plugged in, or the tubes are still hot... but if it is cool or cold you can turn it over however you want, without any real risk of problem (how do you think they made it?).[/quote]

Fair point I suppose :)
Will have a proper look tonight
Cheers