Why become a member? ×

Aria pro 2 RSB deluxe

Kenny_K75

[quote name='Kenny_K75' post='769547' date='Mar 9 2010, 06:32 PM']Looking for a little info on the Aria pro 2 RSB deluxe from mid-eighties.
I am looking at a fretless one and interested in whatever info anyone
has on them.[/quote]

I've got a 1984 pretty stock RSB Deluxe-5... anything specific you want to know?

I think Bassassin has a 4-string example.

Pete.

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='769946' date='Mar 10 2010, 12:16 AM']I've got a 1984 pretty stock RSB Deluxe-5... anything specific you want to know?

I think Bassassin has a 4-string example.

Pete.[/quote]

Just wondering how do you find it to play. Do you reckon its a good bass. I know nothing about them.

[quote name='Kenny_K75' post='770804' date='Mar 10 2010, 07:11 PM']Just wondering how do you find it to play. Do you reckon its a good bass. I know nothing about them.[/quote]

Very comfortable, good ergonomics, fast neck (probably nearer a Jazz than a P). They're not as well made as the SB series (plain neck instead of laminated), but still generally very good IMO. The pickups tend to be quite middly - which ought to suit a fretless - but may not be to everybody's taste.

Dare I ask what colour & how much?

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='769946' date='Mar 10 2010, 12:16 AM']I think Bassassin has a 4-string example.

Pete.[/quote]
I do, sir. It's a 1984 RSB Deluxe II, which was pretty much my only gigging bass from when I bought it (new) until I retired it in 2000 due to an upsettingly twisted neck. I have a (scabby but straight) replacement neck for it from a mid-80s RSB Straycat - I was going to fill the dents & give it a matching refin but I'm sorely tempted to just bung it on & take it out as it is - I miss it!

Anyway mine differs from Bloodaxe's by having a P/J type layout (not a P pup - a similar soapbar with exposed poles in P format) and in having a 22-fret neck rather than 24. The controls are stacked V/T and phase switching for each pup. There was also an RSB Deluxe I, with a single pickup, but these don't seem at all common.

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='771071' date='Mar 10 2010, 11:10 PM']I do, sir. It's a 1984 RSB Deluxe II, which was pretty much my only gigging bass from when I bought it (new) until I retired it in 2000 due to an upsettingly twisted neck. I have a (scabby but straight) replacement neck for it from a mid-80s RSB Straycat - I was going to fill the dents & give it a matching refin but I'm sorely tempted to just bung it on & take it out as it is - I miss it!

Anyway mine differs from Bloodaxe's by having a P/J type layout (not a P pup - a similar soapbar with exposed poles in P format) and in having a 22-fret neck rather than 24. The controls are stacked V/T and phase switching for each pup. There was also an RSB Deluxe I, with a single pickup, but these don't seem at all common.

Jon.[/quote]

The 5-string is stacked VT & Ser/Par for each p/up too. I have [i]most[/i] of an RSB Special I... just needs a p/up.

Pete.

Still got mine from the 80's , 4 string fretted, originally bought to take over from my Fender Precision as i was playing a lot of slap back then and having the
Fender strapped high up meant I was doubled over with back ache by the end of the gig and the Aria was a lot lighter.

Small reasonably light guitar thin-ish fast neck.

The pickups went a bit micoscopic (squealy) a few years back , so I left the front pick up in place and routed out the back one and had fitted a Seymour Duncan Musicman pick up and 3 band active electronics , which gave it a real Musicman clank to the sound .

Have wondered about taking the frets out myself but haven't got round to it, should imagine it would be good as a fretless.

Must dig her out and give her a clean and new strings and practice my Duran Duran John Taylor pose , ha , ha !!! :)