Why become a member? ×

Setting up an electro/acoustic bass

pip

Hi guys

Its been a while since I've posted a topic (bass wise). I was wondering does anyone know anything about setting up a electro/acoustic bass (NOT AN UPRIGHT!). I've tried googling it and acoustic guitar keeps coming up and up right bass keeps coming up. I now how to set up my other basses, but I'm not sure how you would alter string height for example on a eletro/acoustic bass. All I know is the truss is at the end of the neck where you access it to make any neck adjustments.

Any help would be great!

Thanks Phil

When i set up the last one that i had,which was one of those cheap £69 ones,i adjusted the truss rod,filed down the saddle and nut,and it played very nicely.
Filing the saddle down was by trial and error,it was on and off the bass about a dozen times untill it was right.

Edited by hillbilly deluxe

It varies a bit from bass to bass but, I do string height at the nut first. Then look down the neck if there is too much or too little relief adjust the truss rod.
Lastly the bridge, you can file it down, but you can't put it back! Be prepared to take it on and off 10-15 or more times, also be aware that you need to keep the bottom of the saddle ivory flat to make a good contact with the pizzo strip. Some saddles have "teeth" in the bottom to meat up with the crystals in the pick up, only file the top of the saddle.

Top tip - if you use a capo to clamp the strings at the nut end, you can slacken the strings off and remove the ball ends from the bridge without the strings coming off the tuning pegs - makes taking the saddle off and on a heck of a lot faster and less hassle. I must admit I've only ever done this on acoustic guitar rather than abss, but I don't see why it won't work on bass too.