Why become a member? ×

Practice mutes

TKenrick

After a long time away from DB due to shoulder/arm problems I'm finally in a position to start practicing again. I live in a flat where noise travels easily between floors and I'm wary of annoying my neighbours when practicing. I've already got an ultra practice mute (http://www.thestringzone.co.uk/ultra-double-bass-practice-mute) but it doesn't really cut down the volume much. My main concern is vibrations going through the floor- I've tried putting a pillow under my endpin but this doesn't seem to do much either.

Does anyone have any suggestions for more something more effective?

Tom

Those ultra mutes really help with keeping the arco noise down. They need to grip the bridge really tight.

Pizz is easier because you can damp the strings with a fluffy towel, fluffy hairbands etc.

Technically speaking, the sound comes from that big wooden box on the back. I think it also travels down the spike into echoey floors. Perhaps block the f-holes with more fluffy towels. And stop the sound getting past the spike with a cork on the end or a rubber/foam pad under the spike. Don't burst your pillow!