Why become a member? ×

Markbass New York 15

guybrush threepwood

[quote name='guybrush threepwood' post='764702' date='Mar 5 2010, 07:10 AM']I'm off to try one of these out tomorrow, to stack with my combo. Is there anything I should be aware of? What's the peizo tweeter like? (Never heard one before)[/quote]

Can't answer your question - sorry - but I'll be very interested to hear your thoughts on the cab once you've tried it. I recently took delivery of a New York 604 (from a trade on this site) - haven't gigged it yet, only rehearsed - first impressions are quite good, and I'm contemplating completing the ministack with either another the same, or a NY 12 or 15...

Dont worry about the piezo tweeter: If you dont like its sound, you can turn it useless effectively with a slight adjustment of your VLE filter and you wont notice the difference compared to your Jeff Berlin combo. If I am right here, surely you can't notice the first one or two dots when upping your VLE pot, since you are using a single 15" driver that cant reproduce such high frequencies being dampened with the lowpass filter*. I can clearly notice the effect with my 102P combo, because of the piezo tweeter.

Actually I like the sound of mine. Ok, ok, it isnt a silk dome tweeter, thats for sure, but I have heard MUCH worse piezos before. This one is gentler to my ears compared to most other piezos, in my limited experience. And again, it is easy to tame it with the VLE pot.

*VLE or "Vintage Loudspeaker Emulation" is just marketing blabling for what is actually a simple frequency adjustable low pass filter... Meh! Cant we just call things by their name? Its hard enough already to learn a few technical words about my job without every damn brand calling things their own way! o_O'

Edited by Fraktal

[quote name='guybrush threepwood' post='764702' date='Mar 5 2010, 07:10 AM']I'm off to try one of these out tomorrow, to stack with my combo. Is there anything I should be aware of? What's the peizo tweeter like? (Never heard one before)[/quote]

I don't like the Markbass piezo tweeter as this sounds spiter to my ears. I acyually disconnected it in my CMD121P combo and the it now sounds great (it was not switcheable). If the Piezo is switcheable it should be OK

[quote name='alanbass1' post='766185' date='Mar 6 2010, 04:27 PM']I don't like the Markbass piezo tweeter as this sounds spiter to my ears. I acyually disconnected it in my CMD121P combo and the it now sounds great (it was not switcheable). If the Piezo is switcheable it should be OK[/quote]

Actually, I tried out the 1x12 combo in shop yesterday and I know exactly what you mean- it takes a lot of the VLE to tame that tweeter! Anyway, I spent all afternoon playing with the new cab and it sounds lovely! The tweeter had to be turned down quite a lot when I was using the cab on it's own, but with the Jeff Berlin it sounds great with the tweeter up full. 2 15s plus this tweeter gives an incredible, full-range sound; deep bottom, thumpy low mids, growl and bite in the high mids, and a smooth glassy top end. *chuffed* :)

I'm going to take the rig along to practice tonight so I can turn it up, and see how it sounds.