Why become a member? ×

Building a 2X10, advice would be appreciated

waynepunkdude

I've always fancied knocking up my own cab just for the heck of it. Time and money is one thing, Fun is another! It's certainly easier than trying to build a bass! :)

I understand Wayne has found some good deals on some speakers so it makes sense that he wants to see what happens when he puts them in a box...

Building cabs can be as expensive as you like, just as buying ready made cabs can be but generally you will always end up with better quality sound than you would buy new at every price point. Unless you are a good craftsman you generally won't get the finish and the cab won't have much of a resale value so buying second hand will work out cheaper if you include the resale value. I've just built a 2x10 for under £100 not including coverings for example.

Designing cabs can be tricky and you have three options, copy a commercial unit, use one of the existing diy designs or get to grip with Thiele/Small modelling. There is not much point in using the computer modelling like WinIsd or the simpler and clearer AJ software if you don't have any grasp of what they are doing. I'd strongly recommend the 'Loudspeaker design Cookbook' if you want to read up on the technical side to see if this is for you. Have a look at [url="http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/gear_maintenance/choosing_speakers_to_drive_your_cabs.html"]http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/gea..._your_cabs.html[/url] and also the article on speaker cabs which this article links to.

Consider building a sealed cab also as a first build. You will get a little less bass volume for your money but the build will be simpler and the bass loss isn't as much as you have been told. Most of the failures of first builds centre around problems with the ports.

If you choose a drive unit to use then someone here will work out the volumes and port dimensions for you to match that driver.

Building your own gives you immense satisfaction and you will learn loads. There is only one way of finding out if it is for you.