Why become a member? ×

Good and Bad venues

KingPrawn

Though it may be useful to compile a list of venues we could recommend to each other. Both great venues and poor venues.

[u]Midlands: Good venues .[/u]

Road house: [url="http://www.theroadhousebirmingham.co.uk/"]http://www.theroadhousebirmingham.co.uk/[/url]

The crew: [url="http://www.queenshall.net/"]http://www.queenshall.net/[/url]

The feathers: lichfield

The Bulls head: Earlswood nr Birmingham

vic's biker pub; coalville

the wyggeston Hotel: Burton upon trent

[u]Bad venues:[/u]

The Talbot Inn: Heath Hayes

Saint Marys and johns: Erdington Birmingham

I think that it's a great idea to try and warn your fellow basschatters about the good and bad venues around but a couple of issues sprung to mind for me.

[b]Might this give rise to us being accused of libel?[/b]
As I understand it, basschat is indexed by search engines (for the public forums anyway) and there was a case a little while ago whereby if someone searched google for one of the big bass shops (can't remember which one), then in the top few results, one of them was a link to a thread on Basschat saying how rubbish said shop was!

Much as I like the feeling of power, if the thread says something that could be construed as libel then will the author be liable? Basschat's owners? I'm not smart enough to know if this is the case or not, perhaps some more intelligent folk could weigh in.

[b]What constitutes a good or bad venue?[/b]
[list]
[*]A good venue for one band might be dreadful for another, for the reason that one band was rubbish on that night or was the wrong genre for the venue.
[*]Some bands might prefer unpaid rockin' jam sessions whereas others like a fixed high price but with less responsive audiences. Both could be the case at "good" venues.
[*]A good venue might change promotors and become a nightmare to play or vice versa.
[/list]

Maybe it would be better to decide on some ground rules for inclusion on these lists, like you must quantify your statements, perhaps posting it in General Bass Discussion to get more views and therefore more feedback about it might be an idea. If it catches on, you could approach the mods and suggest it to be pinned in the gigs forum.

I'm happy to stand corrected on any of this or clarify anything that I haven't expressed clearly enough.

I doubt we'd have a libel problem -- the law allows for fair comment, which can be extreme as long as the views are honestly held.

But the opinion expressed must be based on fact and in the public interest.

So my saying that I hated, say, the Dog & Duck because the landlord was rude and the toilets were overflowing would be fine. He is, they are and it's in the public interest for me to warn other bassists about the place. :)

Oh, and in a libel case both the writer and Basschat could be liable. [s]But, IIRC, there has never been a libel case involving a website[/s]. Er, there has.

[url="http://www.ip-brands.com/media/index.php/2009/02/28/defamation-law-part-2-successful-strategies-to-deal-with-online-defamation/"]A lawyer writes ...[/url]

Cheers

Mark

Edited by misrule

Did the Grey Horse in Kingston last night. This goes down in the good column.
Lovely little room with an in house PA. It's like a mini Half Moon in layout.
We had about 60 in and it looked packed!
You get to keep all your door money too.
Parking is a mare though. Use the local Sainsburys car park.

The Shed in Leicester
Its a pretty good venue, you only get 50% of the door money but its a good venue.

It is a great venue overall, it has an first level and a downstairs.. they have big bands on upstairs and then also acoustic acts downstairs or metal bands, as metal bands like the sort of feel of being in the downstairs bit.
Upstairs has i'd say 150 capacity.. and downstairs maybe 60 or so.

My only concern is the sound tech, he does a TERRIBLE job half of the time. We've got a gig there tonight, for our Audition.. so im not looking forward to the bit of having him in charge of our FOH sound.. but what can you do?

The Sumo in Leicester is also pretty good, its a bar with an outside section for chilling and then you go inside for warmer chilling, and then downstairs is another bar with the stage next to it. its an underground feel so its really dark and deemy!
but its a bit cold there, as behind and above the stage behind the wall is a river, so the river makes the room a bit chilly especially when your on stage but its a nice atmosphere to have all the different things in 1 bit. You get a back-stage sort of area but its pretty tacky but its great hhe.