Why become a member? ×

Scratchplate question:

lanark

I'm thinking of buying a clear scratchplate and painting the underside to give a quick and painless way of personalising my Affinity P-bass, but I don't want to take the guard off to draw round it to make a paper template, then put it back on just in order to doodle on.

Anyone know if there are any full-size scratchguard templates I can download from the internet to scrawl and play around on before I start unscrewing the real thing?

Taking the real thing off is not terribly hard, just undo 13 screws and undo the nuts that hold the pots and jack. 5 minute job. You will need to do this at some point because I doubt if it is identical to the standard Fender shape ( I looked into this when I had an Affinity P, and concluded it was different, although I didn't actually try one ).

Alternatively, take or find a photo ( square on, to avoid distortion ), crop it to just the guard and then scale it up to full size.

[quote name='lanark' post='749683' date='Feb 18 2010, 01:54 PM']I'm thinking of buying a clear scratchplate and painting the underside to give a quick and painless way of personalising my Affinity P-bass, but I don't want to take the guard off to draw round it to make a paper template, then put it back on just in order to doodle on.

Anyone know if there are any full-size scratchguard templates I can download from the internet to scrawl and play around on before I start unscrewing the real thing?[/quote]
Given what you're telling us, it's patently not a quick and painless approach, is it :)

chrisba is right, it's doubtful that downloadable templates will be correct fit anyway.