Why become a member? ×

i want to overhaul old bass

mike 110

hi there , i've got an old hondo 2 bass that i want to completely overhaul . new pick ups , new bridge , new tuners , new knobs and to stain maple fingerboard dark without removing frets if possible . the body and headstock are a tan colour i would like to sand and respray both . i would be gratefal for any instruction and advice as i have not done anything like this before , thanks in advance .

First question- was this a good/ half decent bass in the past? My (limited) experience of Hondo stuff leads me to suspect that you could waste a lot of time and money turning an sub-par bass into an also ran.
Is it a paint finish , clear laquer or natural wood? If it's a paint finish you may find that the wood undereath is prety gastly as it was never intended to be seen.
As I understand it you intend to use only the neck and body? Before you start satisfy yourself that they are of suficient quality to deserve your time and money.
Even if it is total cr@p you could still use it to try out new pick up combinations , wiring, de-fretting etc.