Why become a member? ×

Withdrawn CIJ Fender Telecaster Custom black/black/maple

I have seen something else I must have and it's so similar to this Tele, I have to sell the Tele to even justify buying it. If it's so similar why not just keep the Tele and not bother buying the other thing? Dunno - completely irrational, but isn't that GAS?

So - CIJ Fender Telecaster Custom 72 RI - I bought this brand new from a Northern Ireland dealer in January 2007. It's one of the only brand new guitars I've ever bought and at the time, it was the only "good" guitar I had. I gigged it in my covers band until I got my first Les Paul and these days I only play it in the Country-Noir band I am in.
It's in very good condition - there are a few light pick scratches on it and a few scratches on the back - I don't know if that Fender/Meguiars stuff would buff it all out, I've never tried it. There's a bit of fretwear that came as a bit of a surprise as it started so soon, but there's still life in the frets and I can't see it needing a refret anytime soon. Pretty soon after I got it, I had it set up for 10s (from factory 9s) by Howard Smith in Leicester, who I reckon is the best tech I've ever been to.
Christmas Day 2007, I put a new bridge pickup in it (present from my dad!) as the factory fit bridge pickup couldn't quite keep up volume wise with the humbucker - the new one (a Giovanni from axesrus) is much much better suited to the bridge humbucker.

The difference between the CIJ and the MIM ones is the CIJ body is ash opposed to the MIM's alder construction and the wide range pickup is ceramic on the CIJ and AlNiCo on the MIM. The CIJ's tuners are Gotoh rather than the Schaller reissues (I don't even know if they're proper Schallers or just licensed). A mate of mine told me he'd replaced the pots on a Mexican made one because the vol/tone pots for the humbucker were only 250k and felt that 500ks opened up the sound a lot better. I got some Alpha 500k pots, took the pickguard off (why I didn't think to check this when I replaced the pickup I don't know) and discovered it already had 500k pots factory fitted - win I reckon! It came with a crap Gibson gig bag which I either sold or gave away and I put it straight into a Hiscox hardcase. This is included in the sale, would cost you in excess of £50 and is in great condition except for a small hole inside, where the cut string ends/machine heads have caught the lining. The key is still taped inside the flap and has never been used.

Price - McGuitars are listing these at £749 + delivery (a tenner I think although it may have gone up!) and Guitar Emporium £779. The Japanese list price is over 90,000 Yen which, by the time you add delivery, VAT and import duty, I think is about £950 - you must be able to import them for less than that or McGuitars and GE would never be able to sell them for what they do.
I would like £600 (to INCLUDE the Hiscox case), which would get me about 4/5 of the way to buying the thing I want, but would trade for a G&L Asat Bluesboy or Plus as long as it's ALL black (I mean black body, matching headstock and ebony fingerboard) and nothing else (unless it's crazily weighted in my favour!). I am in Leicester and would prefer it to be picked up but am not averse to sticking it in a box and sending it to you. [b]Withdrawn from sale[/b]

This is a pic from just after I got it, but am happy to provide more recent pics.

Edited by john_the_bass