Why become a member? ×

What a difference an internal preamp makes to an OLP!

derrenleepoole

Hi guys and gals, thought you might find this interesting and useful. If you don't know, I play an OLP Stingray bass which I love, but the electronics are a little lack lustre. Decided to fit an internal [url="http://www.audereaudio.com/Classic4B.htm"]Audere[/url] Classic 4 band EQ system and new basslines pickup. Paul Rose (Prosebass) did the installation, and this is the result... see what you think :)

This is the breakdown of what is actually going on:

1. An internal Audere Classic 4 Band EQ preamp, the stacked knobs are: volume/pickup sweep, hi mid/lo mid, treble/bass - battery is located under the scratchplate just below and in front of the pickup, the internal cavity has been slightly expanded to accommodate the preamp and larger pot fittings.
2. A Seymour Duncan Basslines SMB-4a Alnico pickup (not 3 coil)
3. Fitted with La Bella 760 flatwound strings
4. Internal shielding throughout
5. Improved higher gear ratio machine heads for better tuning (bought them secondhand, not sure of make but so much better than the standard fitted heads)

The bass is running through an Ashdown LG1000 head into an Ashdown Superfly 48 Neo cabinet. The drum pattern is actually running from an iPod app called Instantdrummer 'Heartbreaker' featuring the drumming talents of Jason McGerr. Recorded direct to camera with no editing.

Cheers Paul for some sterling work :rolleyes:

-Veeeery nice. You should do a vid with a bit of knob tweeking so we can see (hear) the full effect of the onboard EQ. I take it that the pickup sweep blends between the front and back coils of the pickup? Is there a center dent for both on in the middle?-

I intend to do just that, but I'll record that straight in with a DI to get a better sound etc. The balance does exactly as you described, but the centre isn't indented unlike the 2 stacked tone controls. Paul did a sterling installation to get the pickup selection right. The difference isn't massive, but noticeable. In this video, the back part of the pickup is selected.'

Edited by derrenleepoole

[quote name='V4lve' post='732003' date='Feb 1 2010, 06:17 PM']You dont even have to do this much. I upgraded mine with a cheap Artec preamp and some Rotosound 77 flats, shielded it properly and it sounds awesome (IMHO).[/quote]

I've had an Artec and they're good value for money for sure. The Audere was spare, so an install seemed like a good thing to do :)

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='732018' date='Feb 1 2010, 06:29 PM']I've had an Artec and they're good value for money for sure. The Audere was spare, so an install seemed like a good thing to do :)[/quote]

Good job. It sounds great. Interesting that you decided to keep the battery under the pickguard. I am wondering whether to route out for a battery box.

Edited by V4lve

[quote name='V4lve' post='732165' date='Feb 1 2010, 08:24 PM']Good job. It sounds great. Interesting that you decided to keep the battery under the pickguard. I am wondering whether to route out for a battery box.[/quote]

Me and Paul debated this, and under the pickguard is a good solution in as much as it keeps the aesthetic and retail value up - it doesn't matter if the work under the pickguard is a little rough. It does however, make for awkward battery changes when needed. Not a big problem, just one of those things.