Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Feedback issues on VT-1 Purist

andyonbass

Heres one for Dave - I noticed during a gig last night that my VT-1 was causing some high pitched squealing and the on/off switch was causing a loud "pop" when operated. Obviously in mid gig its impossible to experiment to find the cause so I switched it to bypass and finished the gig with no problems. It worked fine for the first set and became apparent as I switched it on after the break. I'm using my ACG bass into the pedal , into my Markbass LM2 head and Eden Nemesis 1x15 cab. No other effects used. I havent had chance to have a look at it yet this morning, I just wondered if you had any thoughts ?
Cheers
Andy

[quote name='andyonbass' post='80319' date='Oct 28 2007, 09:27 AM']Heres one for Dave - I noticed during a gig last night that my VT-1 was causing some high pitched squealing and the on/off switch was causing a loud "pop" when operated. Obviously in mid gig its impossible to experiment to find the cause so I switched it to bypass and finished the gig with no problems. It worked fine for the first set and became apparent as I switched it on after the break. I'm using my ACG bass into the pedal , into my Markbass LM2 head and Eden Nemesis 1x15 cab. No other effects used. I havent had chance to have a look at it yet this morning, I just wondered if you had any thoughts ?
Cheers
Andy[/quote]

Hi Andy,

Sounds like the external switchmode power supply has a problem.

Switchmode power supplies sometimes don't like being switched on without a load so I expect the power connector may have got disconnected for a moment during the gig, this may have been the thump you heard. Sometimes when they are reconnected they run at the wrong frequency which is what you hear as normally they run at frequency outside of our hearing range.

So, it's best to plug the pedal into the power supply first and then plug it into the mains.

One funny thing is that once a power supply starts doing this you have to leave it unplugged from the mains for 10mins before it recovers.

I expect it will be fine today, if not then it could be the supply is duff.

Dave