Why become a member? ×

Radio Mic Pickup System - What Do You Think?

Stompbox

:)
Well what do you think of this - I got a radio mic, transmitter & receiver off Ebay (only a cheap one - and I mean cheap - £9.99 & no postage!). I took the headset microphone apart - took the headband off, & hot glued a piece of rubber to the back of the microphone bendy arm. I've attached photos of the setup. I clamp it to the bridge with a jumbo crocodile clip, then the mic head (with pop shield) goes through the "F" hole and the transmitter goes on my belt.

Then you have on/off and MOST IMPORTANT you have a volume control for your bass and NO WIRES. It really does sound good - the receiver just plugs in to your amplifier input it just has an on/off switch & a short dangly aerial wire.

It takes far less EQing than a bridge mounted piezo pickup.

I can't beleive how good it sounds (and you are probably thinking the same) - but it does! This is the link -and no, I'm not on commission!!!

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WIRELESS-MICROPHONE-TRANSMITTER-HEADSET-CLIP-ON-MIC_W0QQitemZ320390926308QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Music_Instruments_Microphones_MJ?hash=item4a98c98fe4"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WIRELESS-MICROPHONE-...=item4a98c98fe4[/url]

It really, really works - I don't know about the range of the transmitter/receiver, but it's OK in my front room.

Anyway that's my ten pennyworth. No doubt someone will shoot it down, but hey, for the price it's worth a go.

Stompbox.

Firstly, congratulations on a very astute buy. Secondly, putting a mic in the f-hole is not regarded as good practice. However, the mic may be quite 'toppy' and could possibly benefit from the amount of woof that comes out of the f-hole. When you've got the system fully up and running you may care to move the mic around to see if you can find a better sweet spot.

Keep us in touch?

I'd be very very careful if I were you, sorry to pour cold water here but the frequencies that unit transmits on (114MHz to 116MHz) are inside those allocated for aeronautical radionavigation (108.0 to 117.975 MHz), specifically the VOR frequencies. While it's technically not illegal to sell these transmitters, you will be breaking the law if you use it.

[url="http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/archive/ra/publication/ra_info/ra365.htm"]The ofcom frequency allocation table is here.[/url]

Edit for additional info taken from Wiki:

"VOR, short for VHF Omni-directional Radio Range, is a type of radio navigation system for aircraft. A VOR ground station broadcasts a VHF radio composite signal including the station's identifier, voice (if equipped), and navigation signal. The identifier is morse code. The voice signal is usually station name, in-flight recorded advisories, or live flight service broadcasts. The navigation signal allows the airborne receiving equipment to determine a magnetic bearing from the station to the aircraft (direction from the VOR station in relation to the Earth's magnetic North at the time of installation). VOR stations in areas of magnetic compass unreliability are oriented with respect to True North. This line of position is called the "radial" from the VOR. The "intersection" of two radials from different VOR stations on a chart provides an approximate position of the aircraft."

Brings to mind the episode of Only Fools and Horses, when the jumbo was bearing down on the flat :)

Edited by Mateybass

:) Hey Bassace - thanks for the reply.

Yes, you can move the mic about to find the right spot in the instrument, and no, it isn't toppy at all, neither is feedback as much of an issues as it was with the piezo mounted bridge unit.

:rolleyes: Mateybass - I am astounded to hear that, but, given that the unit runs off small batteries :-

1) I shouldn't think it will affect any planes as it supposedly has a range of 30 feet.

2) Would the "frequency police" be about with a detector - like in the old war films with the Gestapo triangulating on me from nearby (within 30 feet)?

I take your point & I am not trying to be frivolous but I will check with the supplier on the frequency.

[quote name='Stompbox' post='730311' date='Jan 31 2010, 09:42 AM']:) Mateybass - I am astounded to hear that, but, given that the unit runs off small batteries :-

1) I shouldn't think it will affect any planes as it supposedly has a range of 30 feet.

2) Would the "frequency police" be about with a detector - like in the old war films with the Gestapo triangulating on me from nearby (within 30 feet)?

I take your point & I am not trying to be frivolous but I will check with the supplier on the frequency.[/quote]

Well, in actual fact, OfCom do have radio detection and direction finding vans, work pioneered during WW2, my dad used to be involved in it during his time with the RAF in WW2 and myself whilst working for a radio comms company.

The frequency band it uses is clearly stated on the ebay item description and should also be stated on the unit, along with a CE mark. You'd be better off speaking to OfCom regarding its usage in this country.