Why become a member? ×

getting used to the Geddy Lee Jazz - weight, neck size...

Chest Rockwell

I did post this in the Geddy thread but figured it might be more useful in a thread of its own, as it's a general 'get used to your new bass'/learn new techniques type deal...

-----

it's funny everyone talks about how thin the neck is cos im having problems getting my hands around it!!

I just managed to snag one from Ebay for £421, pretty much mint, cos i wanted to Fender up and get a nice tone and smooth neck. 'bout time I upgraded I thought.

Everything's great on it, but with the slightly wider frets and slightly wider spacing between strings, I'm finding I cant play it too low down (when standing) as I can only just get my hand round the fretboard, like, I can't reach the E string on the 14th fret or above... not that I would much, but it's nice to have coverage. And I have fairly big hands! The bass is too heavy, weight-wise, to have high up, and thats not my style anyway (Rock, maaan :rolleyes: ). My old Aria Pro II SLB, only bass I've had since I was 18, has a thin neck too and I dont have any problems getting around it. Seems like it's got a slightly fatter rounded edge than the Geddy, which may have 'trained' my fret hand to 'cup' around it. now that there's no cup since the Geddy is a little flatter, maybe my hand is missing that support? practice practice...

It's starting to make me question my 'style', for what it is, as I tend to use a pick to get that specific attack sound, but seems like fingers are more natural or 'real' on a bass this size. if it's higher i feel like im playing it like a guitar and i hate it when guitarists pick up a bass and play it like a guitar. im a bass guy, not a guitarist. ew! but fingers bring up the pickup sound, the string spacing now what im used to... arg!

I really hope I dont fall out of love with this Geddy due to an inability to play it naturally unless it's above my waist!

It sounds awesome though, when I do crank it, with a tiny little extra from a Big Muff pedal, it has plenty of scope for a crunching powerful bass sound. Guys in 'the band' were both impressed with it and it was nice to sit back and go 'right, there she is, lets play...' :)

I wondered about starting a thread about this as Im sure it's a common thing, playability, height,

Edited by Chest Rockwell