Why become a member? ×

Fender P-Bass Deluxe Special

told88

Hi Guys!

I'm new here! So it's the first topic for me :)

Anyway I wanted to ask if anyone could give me some feedback on a Fender P-Bass Deluxe Special. That one with P-Bass pup and J-pup (the active one wth eq).

I have already a P-bass but it's only a mexican standard one and I want to sell this one and maybe buy a combination of P and J pups because I heard it's a very nice combination. I saw now the P-Bass special on the Fender site and thought it could be a good one. I'm going to try it anyway before I'll buy it but maybe u can give me some good feedbacks guyz!

Thanks

i've got one (Mexican).... Mines passive though. Bought from new a few years back. pretty much does what it says on the tin! As well as the Jazz pickup it also has a jazz width neck. Routing round the Jazz pickup is terrible it has to be said (though only below the pickup so you can't really see it - guess thats just coz its mexican) and for some reason with both pickups on full power it loses some volume so you have to back the jazz pickup off a little to increase the volume again! slightly odd! I put a Gotoh bridge on mine and the p-pickup has now been replaced with a Dimarzio Will Power .

[attachment=41236:precisionspecial.jpg]

peace

c

I had the same mex one in sunbirst, sold it acoupke of months ago, but it was great, lovely feel and tone, ive since replaced it with the active version and still very impressed with these! I'm no expert in bass terms but theyre good value and they comortably keep up with my other higher end basses! the jazz profile necks are great if like me you suffer with hand size issues!!!

These are lovely basses.
The bass player in my sis' band has one (and she STILL has my Mike Dirnt P Bass!!!) and it sounds brilliant!
Her's is a weird silvery-white colour with a gold pickguard and maple fingerboard.
I had a look at it when she first got it (just before Christmas)-2nd hand and it was in good shape. Just needed a clean, some new strings and a quick set up.
The range of sounds you can get out of this is unbelievable.
The EQ (I think mid and bass?) and pan pot are great.
I know lots of people are not huge fans of Fender on-board Pre's, but I quite like it-simple but effective.
It doesn't weigh a ton either!
If I had a spare 300 lying around (and didn't have a 78 P with J pup mod) I'd definately get one!
But hey, thats just me!.

As far as I can remember, when these came out, there was a choice of an awful navy blue colour, silver or black-all with maple boards and gold pg.
There was a passive mim deluxe P aswell, never tried or heard one though. Think they came in black or fiesta red.
Hope thats some sort of help anyway

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks guyz for ur posts!

I now really dunno what I want^^

My 5-string broke last week and now I'm searching first a new 5-String and then maybe save some money to get an old original P-bass and upgrade it a little bit.... But thats gonna take some time!

Thanks anyway for your posts!