Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

High and Low Input Question!

Rammsteinbrit

Heres the deal, just bought a very nice Marshall head, the High input WORKS, the Low DOESNT, cant see any input problem, and i dont really have the time to take it to the repair shop...

My bass (Fender Aerodyne) is a passive, so i always (on my Ashdown combo/both high and low too) just plug it into the Low input, is this the right thing to do? I always thought that the High was for Active Basses, and the Low was for Passive...

[b]Am i wrong?[/b]

If so, can i plug my Fender into the High input on the Marshall head, and itll sound good without it ruining it?

Any advice on this subject would be GREAT

Thanks

Darby.

I'd assume the "high" would mean high gain, which is what you'd want for a passive bass anyway...

Hi / Low / Active / passive whatever, it's just that one or the other has a resistor wired into it to stop hotter signals overdriving the preamp.

I bet it'd tell you in the manual which one is which.

[quote name='Rammsteinbrit' post='724301' date='Jan 25 2010, 05:27 PM']My bass (Fender Aerodyne) is a passive, so i always (on my Ashdown combo/both high and low too) just plug it into the Low input, is this the right thing to do? I always thought that the High was for Active Basses, and the Low was for Passive...

[b]Am i wrong?[/b][/quote]
High means "high gain", so would normally be used with a lower output bass (typically passive).

In reality, assuming your bass has an input gain knob, you can generally just adjust the gain to an appropriate level whichever input you use.