Why become a member? ×

Bassix EUB

Beer of the Bass

Bassix electric upright for sale. This was made in late 2001 and I've had it from new. These were made in England from fibreglass and other synthetic materials. The scale length is 41 1/2", similar to most 3/4 size double basses. This is the headless model, with the tuners on the tailpiece. I have changed the electronics from the original setup - it now has the original Kent Armstrong magnetic pickup at the end of the fingerboard, a K&K piezo pickup on the bridge and a Fishman Powerchip preamp with volume controls for each pickup. The strings are Thomastik Superflexibles, which are quality double bass strings. There is a gig bag for it, though it's somewhat well worn. I gigged with this for several years, and it did a good job of being a more public transport friendly double bass substitute. I paid over £700 for the bass when it was new - I think around £300 is reasonable now, given that there are more options for affordable EUBs these days. It'll have to be picked up from my flat in Edinburgh, as it's a bit big to find packing materials for.

I can post more pics if desired, but my internet connection is playing up right now and won't let me!

If this is still around at the end of next month then I'm deffo interested. Just two questions though.
1. I'm an upright noob, is this ok for learning ?
2. Is it amenable to respray/refinishing ? I like the look but the colour.... well it reminds me of my grans doors back in the 60's, a finish known as 'scumble'. Not a biggie I suppose, I could live with it.

[quote name='grumble' post='723821' date='Jan 25 2010, 08:33 AM']If this is still around at the end of next month then I'm deffo interested. Just two questions though.
1. I'm an upright noob, is this ok for learning ?
2. Is it amenable to respray/refinishing ? I like the look but the colour.... well it reminds me of my grans doors back in the 60's, a finish known as 'scumble'. Not a biggie I suppose, I could live with it.[/quote]

The scale length and fingerboard/neck shape are pretty typical double bass dimensions, so technique you develop on this should transfer over to acoustic double bass OK. That's what I did, though I found I still needed to work a bit on getting good tone and projection once I moved over to acoustic double bass.
I'm not sure what finishing materials were used, but the maker is still around at www.bassix.net , so I'd suggest you contact him and enquire.

Thanks BOTB, as I said the colour/finish isn't a deal killer. The main thing is it will be a (relatively) inexpensive way to try out upright playing that wont be wasted should I decide to try the real thing. Of course my lack of any sort of talent with bass guitar wont hold me back :rolleyes:
Time to get some extra hours worked and to start preparing 'er indoors for an addition to my family :)

• 2 weeks later...