Why become a member? ×

New Live Room acoustic problems

cheddatom

In our old room, the ceiling was fairly normal height, but triangular (there's a word for that!?). The walls were made of some really cheap plaster board, loads of windows, a little bit of brick. We had a great sound in there, it's fairly lively, but not mushy. The roof collapsed so we've moved to a new room within the warehouse at work. This room has a very high ceiling, also triangular. It has very hard walls and ceramic tiles on concrete floors. We're getting loads of reverb, which isn't so bad. The drums sound great, but when the guitar and bass kick in it's one big wall of mush. I think it's a problem in the low end, but i'm no expert.

Any advice on what to do? We could drape something to create a false ceiling. I could buy some rockwool and make some bass traps. Could we sort it with EQ?

There are some pictures [url="http://img693.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=image084c.jpg"]here[/url].

[quote name='cheddatom' post='722186' date='Jan 23 2010, 02:14 PM']In our old room, the ceiling was fairly normal height, but triangular (there's a word for that!?). The walls were made of some really cheap plaster board, loads of windows, a little bit of brick. We had a great sound in there, it's fairly lively, but not mushy. The roof collapsed so we've moved to a new room within the warehouse at work. This room has a very high ceiling, also triangular. It has very hard walls and ceramic tiles on concrete floors. We're getting loads of reverb, which isn't so bad. The drums sound great, but when the guitar and bass kick in it's one big wall of mush. I think it's a problem in the low end, but i'm no expert.

Any advice on what to do? We could drape something to create a false ceiling. I could buy some rockwool and make some bass traps. Could we sort it with EQ?

There are some pictures [url="http://img693.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=image084c.jpg"]here[/url].[/quote]

I'd start by making half a dozen moveable gobos of rockwool. You can then more them around til you find the best position for them. It's likely a combination of both lack of bass trapping, reflective surfaces and parallel walls.

I would start off by trying to get some huge thick rugs and place them on the floor, being that the floor is the closest surface you encounter it might make a difference. I would also experiment with gear placement, depending on the size of the room i would try and move cabs away from the walls and corners. This will reduce coupling with the walls.