Why become a member? ×

tribute band audition

4-string-thing

So this is turning into one of those "I can learn an Oasis line in 3 seconds without even listening to it" conversations :). I've covered loads of Oasis songs over the years and they're not *that* simple. There's usually enough improv throughout a song to keep you on your toes if you want to get it right all the way through. I suspect that almost getting one verse and one chorus right and that will do will not do. Learn the song properly and also think how you are going to get a similar sound. You *might* even have to look the part (unlucky), so that's something to think about too.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='722239' date='Jan 23 2010, 03:24 PM']Fans are savvy enough to know you're overplaying. Keep the chops in the butchers. :)[/quote]
yup, what he said.
play the tune the way it was recorded even if you dont "agree" with it.
hope you get the gig btw!!

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='722370' date='Jan 23 2010, 05:47 PM']Reminds me of a story I've told on here before. In the 80s, during Mark King mayhem, a customer we knew came into our shop with a face like a slapped arse. He was an absolute King fanatic - same bass, same rig, gaffer tape on his thumb, everything. We asked him what was up. He said he'd just been sacked at a band rehearsal for slapping 'House Of The Rising Sun'.

:rolleyes:[/quote]
I'm a big "king fan" but even I'd have sacked,anyone,even, the govnor for that :)
play it like it says on the tin.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='722853' date='Jan 24 2010, 09:15 AM']In those days it was 'if it moves, slap it!'[/quote]
an old and now, very sadly departed friend/guitar player and Gordie mentor used to say.. (and now, so do I... )

"one slap deserves another"

RIP
Rob......ya bast@rd!!!

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='722833' date='Jan 24 2010, 08:22 AM']So this is turning into one of those "I can learn an Oasis line in 3 seconds without even listening to it" conversations :). I've covered loads of Oasis songs over the years and they're not *that* simple. There's usually enough improv throughout a song to keep you on your toes if you want to get it right all the way through. I suspect that almost getting one verse and one chorus right and that will do will not do. Learn the song properly and also think how you are going to get a similar sound. You *might* even have to look the part (unlucky), so that's something to think about too.[/quote]

No, I've never said that they were so simple I could learn them in 3 seconds. I reckon I will struggle to learn them note for note in 3 days! If I can remember the chord changes before the audition, I will have done well.

Getting a similar sound and looking the part should be easy enough, I'll take my P bass along, and I already look like an anonymous, ageing, indie-boy!