Why become a member? ×

Gassing for an elctro acoustic - Godin or Status Electro?

lapolpora

I find myself lusting after an electro acoustic fretless and I've been looking out for a Godin or a Status Electro. Is there anyone here who has knowledge of them both and could help me make up my mind?

I'm after a bass that can do a good upright bass tone for big band playing, but could also do a good meaty baby-bass tone for salsa and latin music.

Any suggestions/opinions gratefully received.

Cheers!

[quote name='lapolpora' post='718654' date='Jan 20 2010, 01:31 AM']I find myself lusting after an electro acoustic fretless and I've been looking out for a Godin or a Status Electro. Is there anyone here who has knowledge of them both and could help me make up my mind?

I'm after a bass that can do a good upright bass tone for big band playing, but could also do a good meaty baby-bass tone for salsa and latin music.

Any suggestions/opinions gratefully received.

Cheers![/quote]

Just come across this post (I only joined the forum last week) ...

I have had both in their fretted versions. I play in a largely acoustic based band & wanted a bass with a more acoustic sound than a regular electric bass, but I never liked any of the acoustic bass guitars I tried.

I came across a fretless Godin A4 a few years ago in Andertons in Guildford & loved it, but needed a fretted bass for practically purposes so ordered a fretted one untried. It was a great instrument, with a warm round tone which could give an approximation of an upright bass tone (bearing in mind it is still a guitar & not a DB!) with a bit of tweaking on the EQ.

The biggest drawback I found was its weight - I found it quite heavy generally & also farily head-heavy so not the best balance. After a couple of hours I could seriously feel it.

After a couple of years with it I came across a Status Electro mark I (just a piezo pickup, unlike the later versions) - again in Andertons & on both occasions I wasn't even looking for a bass! This one was second hand & fretted ... and about half the weight & better balanced so I bought it & sold the Godin.

The sound is still fairly acoustic-ish, but with a bit more definition, clarity & punch than the Godin, which suits me better ... the tonal range is not as wide as the Godin, but I don't need it to be. I can also play all night without feeling it & it looks stunning - better than the later versions I think as there is no pickup cluttering up the top!

I haven't seen or heard a fretless Status, but from what you've described I would think the Godin is more likely to give you the sound you're after ... but I would recommend finding both if possible & trying them for yourself.

Hope this helps ...

can't vouch for a fretless acoustic as ive never had one, but i do have a washburn AB10 fretted elecro acoustic. It sounds GREAT!!! lovely warm acoustic tone, has an onboard eq so you can tweak it a fair bit, plays nice too, I can definately recommend theses and i'm guessing a fretless version of it would sound lovely too!!