Why become a member? ×

My dream bass has appeared on the bay

Alfie

The bass I yearn for the most is a 1983 (year of birth) Fender Precision Sienna Sunburst, this one for sale is a real beauty:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140375508631&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT[/url]

However it is in the states and he won't ship to the abroad. The thing is that he is selling it at least 400 quid then they go for over here- is this thing legit? Anybody got a spare ticket to Vegas?

Maybe he's just a tinkerer who doesn't know how to set up his bass properly. It is mentioned that the action is quite high (some numbers would be helpful like). That could be as a result of a dodgy neck too although to be fair the extra string height could cause some intonation oddness. Still there's enough cause not to buy unless played first imo. She is beautiful though.

+1 to the potential neck issues. And don't forget to find out how much it weighs.

Having said all that, and assuming that you're satisfied with the answers you get, have you actually asked him if he'll ship abroad? Sometimes people say No in the listing, but are prepared to do it if you ask them nicely (and DON'T ask Americans to list a vintage bass as a gift worth less than $50!).

If you assume that you'll need to add 20% - 25% to the final eBay price to cover shipping & taxes, that still wouldn't be a completely outrageous price.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='717112' date='Jan 18 2010, 09:49 PM']+1 to the potential neck issues. And don't forget to find out how much it weighs.

Having said all that, and assuming that you're satisfied with the answers you get, have you actually asked him if he'll ship abroad? Sometimes people say No in the listing, but are prepared to do it if you ask them nicely (and DON'T ask Americans to list a vintage bass as a gift worth less than $50!).

If you assume that you'll need to add 20% - 25% to the final eBay price to cover shipping & taxes, that still wouldn't be a completely outrageous price.[/quote]

you could use a mail forwarding service like www.myus.com/ - I have used them for basses once or twice no problem.

IMO the guy has a little too much to say about the way it's set up etc.. to be completely comfortable about buying from him.
Have heard this kind of talk before when I bought a car with a dodgy clutch. Talking around the subject but never actually admitting that a problem exists.
means he can backtrack later.
May be just me being cynical tho.