Why become a member? ×

Loud buzzing coming from amp

coxswain

Hey guys I could use some advice about what may be wrong here.

I have an amp which has a ridiculously loud buzzing soundcoming from the speaker when switched on. It sounds almost like a small engine revving or something like that. It’s really loud and starts immediately when switched on.

The head is an Ashdown Mag 300 EVOII and the cab is a Peavey 115 Black Widow. I bought both 2nd hand on ebay. I bought the cab a while ago and when I picked it up I tried it out on one of the seller’s amps and it worked fine. No buzzing at all.

The head just arrived today in the post and is supposedly only a few months old and in good condition.

There are two speaker outs on the back of the amp and I tried plugging the speaker into both of those with the same result.

The cable I use is one of these, which I bought brand new:
[url="http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/shop/flypage/product_id/41465"]http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/shop/flypage/product_id/41465[/url]

Has anyone had a similar problem? And what can I do to try and narrow it down and find out where the problem lies?

I don’t have any other speakers or amps lying around so I can’t try the ol’ switcharoo. I do have guitar cables though, so can I try a guitar cable instead of the speaker cable to see if that is the problem? I know using guitar cables for amps is a no-no, but will it damage the amp (further :)) if I just switch it on for a few seconds

Whew, there it is. Sorry for the long post, could really use some advice
Cheers!

[quote name='coxswain' post='713754' date='Jan 15 2010, 01:57 PM']@obbm I'm in Bristol, know any good techs in this area?

Thanks for the help, guys[/quote]

Not my area I'm afraid but there are plenty of Bristol based members here. The other alternative is to get it back to Ashdown.