Why become a member? ×

Import duty

Rayman

[quote name='Rayman' post='708514' date='Jan 11 2010, 08:41 AM']Just had a thought, am I going to get stung on import duty for a Sadowsky Vintage Tone Control unit I just bought directly from them? It's only tiny yes, but cost over $100.[/quote]

Maybe... it is a relatively cheap item so it may not attract excise duty. If it does it will be around 20-22% of the total cost including shipping. Also the last few things I bought from the States, the Post Office added a handling charge as well - obviously not applicable if the item is sent Fedex, UPS etc.....

Yeah, well it's Fedex so that's OK, but I remember getting charged a fair chunk by Parcelfarce when I imported a Seymour Duncan humbucker a few years back. I lost the money I'd saved buying it in the US, and it would've been cheaper going up the road and buying it full price at the local guitar shop. As you say, the post office would've been responsible for some of that charge too.

[quote name='Rayman' post='708514' date='Jan 11 2010, 08:41 AM']Just had a thought, am I going to get stung on import duty for a Sadowsky Vintage Tone Control unit I just bought directly from them? It's only tiny yes, but cost over $100.[/quote]

Forget about the import duty, it's nothing. It's the VAT and the various handling charges (made by the importer) for putting it through customs you need to watch out for. Make sure you ask your (potential) carrier what the damage will be!!

Edited by thepurpleblob