Why become a member? ×

Buying a PA - advise appreciated

northstreet

Mods - sorry if this is in the wrong place.

Guys - my covers band has made a collective New Year's resolution and we are going to get serious in 2010. One thing we'll need to do is get our own PA instead of scraping bits and pieces together like we've done in the past. So we've had a good look around and think we have a preferred set up, but I thought I'd check with the collective wisdom of fellow chatters.

The band is bass, drums, keyboard, guitar and vocals. We play a mix of standards - from My Sharona to Maggie May. Venues are the usual mix of social clubs, hotels, pubs etc - 200ish people. Both the keyboard and guitar DI straight into the PA. We haven't needed to (and don't anticipate having to) mike up the drums - he's a loud bugger - or me. The set up we like is a pair of Mackie SRM450s, a Soundcraft EFX8 mixer and 4 Laney 112 monitors (monitoring is an issue as the guitar and keyboard players have always struggled to hear themselves). Andertons are doing a couple of deals and we can get the whole lot for £1,700 on 9 months free credit - that's only £40 a month each. I guess we could get stuff cheaper on eBay but this has the advantage of (i) getting the whole lot in one go, (ii) 12 month warranties, and (iii)we can spread the cost.

This is none of those things where you have to buy on spec a bit, cos you can't really try this stuff out in the shop, so I'd appreciate any comments, feedback, unreasonable prejudices or views from anyone whose already doing this for real

Check out www.whybuynew.co.uk as they often have some really great deals.

Personally speaking, I would suggest that 4 x Monitors is excessive, and you could easily get away with two - does the guitarist not use an amp on stage to hear himself?

Also, I'd wonder whether given you have keys, you might find a Top+Sub system better, although it's more gear it does give a very pleasing sound, particularly if your keyboardist plays organ sounds. We have an identical lineup to you and use a cheapo Peavey kit of Subs and Tops (both 15", the latter with a tweeter) and a Yamaha Powered desk - a similar setup might fit the bill for you?

Cheers,
James