Why become a member? ×

Low output

lmbalcao

Hi!

I have a custom 6 string bass with Nordstrand Fat Stack set and Aguilar OBP3.

The pots used were the following:

Treble: 50k, Linear Taper, Center Detent
Bass: 50k, Linear Taper, Center Detent
Mid: 50k, Linear Taper, Center Detent, DPDT (push pull for mid boost)
Blend: 250k, Dual Ganged, Linear Taper, Center Detent
Volume: 250k Push Pull A/P Linear Taper DPDT (push-pull for active/passive mode)
Passive: Tone 250k Audio Taper (This connection was altered to affect only the passive tone)
Switch: DPDT PU mode selector

It was all connected using this scheme and the only change made was in the tone pot that was affecting the active mode aswell, so the luthier changed some wires and now it only has any effect in passive mode.

The bass has a good tone but a very low output. My musicman has x2 or x3 more output. This one doesn't even clip my amp. To get any high volume i need to have the gain at 7 and volume above 5 (both values go from 1 to 10 and both basses with maxed volume and all eq's flat).. With my musicman the values just need to be below 5 on both amp settings.

Other situation is that the passive volume e much lower than the active volume.

Are these 2 situations normal? What can i do to repair them?

I can post photos of the wiring if needed.

Thanks in advance.
Luís

I'm not familliar with Nordstrand pick-ups, however, I do have a few thoughts;

Have you had the bass for long, and has it always been this way? Or has it just started?
I presume you've tried fresh batteries!
Could one of the potentiometers be worn out/ faulty / damaged - The volume would be my first one to check.
It's not unusual for basses to have a hotter ouput in active mode than passive - Most Warwicks are at least a bit quieter in my experience.
Could the Nordstrands just be lower in output than you expect, and that perception is reinforced by the higher output from the Musicman?

Just some ideas...

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='706417' date='Jan 9 2010, 11:46 AM']I'm not familliar with Nordstrand pick-ups, however, I do have a few thoughts;

Have you had the bass for long, and has it always been this way? Or has it just started?
I presume you've tried fresh batteries!
Could one of the potentiometers be worn out/ faulty / damaged - The volume would be my first one to check.
It's not unusual for basses to have a hotter ouput in active mode than passive - Most Warwicks are at least a bit quieter in my experience.
Could the Nordstrands just be lower in output than you expect, and that perception is reinforced by the higher output from the Musicman?

Just some ideas...[/quote]

Solved the problem. Thanks for the feedback.