Why become a member? ×

twin neck question

Dom in Dorset

I'm planning to build a twin neck, fretted/fretless.
I've made most of the decisions and one question remains...
Which neck on top, which neck at the bottom?
I like to play fretted with my right hand flopped over the back end of the bass Entwistle style, so fretted at the top?
Is it more important to have the fretless at the top for greater ease of control?
Before you say "why have twin neck, wouldn't it be easier to use two basses?" - It's not about practicality, I like prog rock and think that twin necks are cool.

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' post='705229' date='Jan 8 2010, 10:25 AM']I'm planning to build a twin neck, fretted/fretless.
I've made most of the decisions and one question remains...
Which neck on top, which neck at the bottom?
I like to play fretted with my right hand flopped over the back end of the bass Entwistle style, so fretted at the top?
Is it more important to have the fretless at the top for greater ease of control?
Before you say "why have twin neck, wouldn't it be easier to use two basses?" - It's not about practicality, I like prog rock and think that twin necks are cool.[/quote]

Good for you man! I dig twin necks too.

You don't say if you are experienced at fretless, but if you need to look at the 'board while playing fretless, it makes sense to have it further away from to make general intonation easier. So I would have the FL neck on the bottom, BUT the side dots will probably be obscured by the upper neck. Will it be a lined fretless?

I don't think control is the issue, it's about comfort and ease of use.

Are you going to put this in the build diary? I hope so!

I've been playing fretless for a few months now. For my first fretless I used a de-fretted rosewood board and filled the gaps with blackwood dust and glue, faint lines to encourage myself to learn to play without looking. I'm getting on well with it and played a good gig in a dark venue where I couldn't see the lines at all.
I'll be useing the same pick ups and bridges for both necks initialy so I could swap the necks if I'm not happy but I'd rather not nacker the strings by faffing about with them too much.
I'm selling a few things to raise funds and will start work ASAP, I will be posting stuff on the build diary when I have something to show.

Hi.
The first thing I would say is that I have seen these come up for sale,
now and again - usually made in the Far East, sometimes for not many £$£$.
This would let you "have a go" without the time and trouble of a build, unless
part of the fun would be putting it together. :lol:
Almost all the ones I have seen have fretted at the top.
I have several twin necks, 4 & 6, 12 & 6 Bass & Bass, fretted - and something
that has been pointed out on a previous reply is very true - it can be difficult
to see the bottom neck. If you can play fretless without looking at some point
of reference, no problem - more than I can do!! :)

Other things to consider, if you are going for a build, is chambering. Done in the
right places, keeping the centre of gravity in the correct place, it would save a
lot on the weight. Depends on what shape you would choose.
Another thing is strap button positioning - all your hard work building it, only to
find it hangs round your neck like something Davy Crocket shot up in the mountains!!
Perhaps the most comfortable one I have (12 & 6 - Not SG) has a strap button behind
the bottom neck. Balances a treat. Check out all your options.
If is is a faily standard shape, fit two buttons, 50 - 60mm
apart from the centre line - when leant against anything, it will save it falling over. :rolleyes:
Include a neck switch. The unplayed neck will drone and feed.
And finally. . . . . if you intend to gig with it, buy the guitarist a few drinks beforehand,
just to smooth things over - most don't like bass players with anything fancy, the audience
may start looking at you and your pal, the drummer, instead!! :lol: Oooer, Mrs!! :lol: