Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

hissing bass! bad earth?

iconic

Sounds very much like a bad earth if it stops when you touch something on the bass. However, you'd normally associate a hiss with an amp rather than the bass.

Odd that.

And yes, the bass components should be earthed to each other in one way or another.

I take it the amp isn't hissing with the bass disconnected?

[quote name='iconic' post='697227' date='Dec 31 2009, 02:57 PM']My Yamaha RBX-374 seems have started hissing, yes I know normally a hum or buzz, but this is more a high pitch hissing...it stops if I touch any of the control knobs or strings...

Any ideas, bad earth...are they earthed?

cheers[/quote]

started hissing...it didnt do it before...poirot here.. :)

have you done any changes...bridge for instance...

or using it in a different venue socket etc

lots of reasons which may not just be the bass..

[quote name='mrcrow' post='697493' date='Dec 31 2009, 07:20 PM']started hissing...it didnt do it before...poirot here.. :lol:

have you done any changes...bridge for instance...

or using it in a different venue socket etc

lots of reasons which may not just be the bass..[/quote]

well, you right Mr Hercule, I had swapped strings to new Rotos, then back to OE's and it started then, no idea why though?...put my Ernie flats on and no more hiss!

...my Yammy OE's have flats worn into them where they touch the frets :) I think they be worn worn out :rolleyes:

[quote name='iconic' post='697760' date='Jan 1 2010, 10:41 AM']well, you right Mr Hercule, I had swapped strings to new Rotos, then back to OE's and it started then, no idea why though?...put my Ernie flats on and no more hiss!

...my Yammy OE's have flats worn into them where they touch the frets :) I think they be worn worn out :rolleyes:[/quote]

the term OE escapes me

but elixir or any coated string wont earth through the saddles...and this coud mean the strings are introducing radio frequencies via the air rather than being earthed out

i has never happened to me though