Why become a member? ×

Aria-Whats the difference...

W1_Pro

As an owner of several SB's in the past all I can say is that the SB series is of a higher quality particularly the 1000 series which is a very good instrument and I will always have one in my collection I just think the SBr's are a newer series with perhaps better quality electronics but poorer finishes.[quote name='W1_Pro' post='696165' date='Dec 30 2009, 10:49 AM']Hello folks,
I've noticed a few SBR 60's and 80's up for sale- I wondered wht the difference was between them and the SB basses.
Can anyone enlighten me?
Many thanks
Stuart[/quote]

[quote name='bassatnight' post='696170' date='Dec 30 2009, 10:55 AM']As an owner of several SB's in the past all I can say is that the SB series is of a higher quality particularly the 1000 series which is a very good instrument and I will always have one in my collection I just think the SBr's are a newer series with perhaps better quality electronics but poorer finishes.[/quote]
Thanks Bassatnight, I have an SB also- a 700 fretless bought new in errr...1984 I'm sorry to say...first decent Bass I ever owned- so were the SB-R's a later series then? Sort of late eighties ish?

[quote name='W1_Pro' post='696246' date='Dec 30 2009, 12:21 PM']Thanks Bassatnight, I have an SB also- a 700 fretless bought new in errr...1984 I'm sorry to say...first decent Bass I ever owned- so were the SB-R's a later series then? Sort of late eighties ish?[/quote]

Greetings,

The main difference is in the neck profile - the SBs have a very nearly parallel string spacing between nut & bridge, whereas the SBRs have a noticeable taper (not as much as a Fender, but quite noticeable)

The easy way to spot the difference is that the SBRs have a rather fetching elliptical "eye" position inlay, whereas the SBs have plain dots. I'm not aware of any differences in construction & finish - they're all quarter-sawn maple/walnut laminated necks & ash bodies covered in nigh-on indestructible 2-pack Poly.

The story I've heard is that the SBRs were devised as a "hybrid" (somewhere around 1984?) based on the assumption that Western hands are bigger than Asian ones. Personally I prefer the original SB profile - definite "try before you buy" as it's a bit of a jolt.

Pics of the 700 if you would sir! They're quite scarce.

Pete.

Edited by Bloodaxe

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='696455' date='Dec 30 2009, 04:41 PM']Greetings,

The main difference is in the neck profile - the SBs have a very nearly parallel string spacing between nut & bridge, whereas the SBRs have a noticeable taper (not as much as a Fender, but quite noticeable)

The easy way to spot the difference is that the SBRs have a rather fetching elliptical "eye" position inlay, whereas the SBs have plain dots. I'm not aware of any differences in construction & finish - they're all quarter-sawn maple/walnut laminated necks & ash bodies covered in nigh-on indestructible 2-pack Poly.

The story I've heard is that the SBRs were devised as a "hybrid" (somewhere around 1984?) based on the assumption that Western hands are bigger than Asian ones. Personally I prefer the original SB profile - definite "try before you buy" as it's a bit of a jolt.

Pics of the 700 if you would sir! They're quite scarce.

Pete.[/quote]
Thanks for this Pete, I shall bear this in mind, I'm looking for a fretted SB to go with the fretless, so I'll see if I can find and SBR to have a go on before I commit folding to the project. I'm away for a couple of weeks, but I'll post some pics of the SB when I return. It's a lovely bass, but I've always felt that the pickup is/was a bit lacking.
Stuart

[quote name='W1_Pro' post='697438' date='Dec 31 2009, 06:35 PM']Thanks for this Pete, I shall bear this in mind, I'm looking for a fretted SB to go with the fretless, so I'll see if I can find and SBR to have a go on before I commit folding to the project. I'm away for a couple of weeks, but I'll post some pics of the SB when I return. It's a lovely bass, but I've always felt that the pickup is/was a bit lacking.
Stuart[/quote]

Keep your eyes peeled for an SB-900. Passive twin 4-wire humbuckers that'll 'ave yer trousers off.

Actives? We don' need no steeenkeeeeng actives!