Why become a member? ×

Tab player

thunderbird13

looking for tabs last night and I came across this site which I found helpful

[url="http://www.songsterr.com/"]http://www.songsterr.com/[/url]

Has anyone come across anything else like it ?

Is this how Guitar Pro works as I've seen midi files that can be downloaded and can you mute the other instruments so you can just hear the bass ?

Looks interesting, but I see two flaws...

1 - You're restricted to what's on the Songsterr site
2 - They want $10 a month subscription for the player to be fully functional - this would be fine in principle, but given the fact that the RIAA detest tab sites with a passion, I wonder how long it is before Songsterr gets "a letter" & what happens to your sub then.

It seems to work in a similar fashion to GuitarPro, but whilst GP costs there are bucketloads of tabs out there - far more than Songsterrrrrr.

A good place to nose around is Sourceforge. This is the result for [url="http://sourceforge.net/search/?words=tab+reader&type_of_search=soft&pmode=0&words=guitar+tab&Search=Search"]"Guitar Tab"[/url] - bucketloads of free stuff for all platforms.

Pete

[quote name='thunderbird13' post='692450' date='Dec 23 2009, 05:08 PM']Thanks for the reply - TBH I was just looking at the free stuff I dont really think the other features are worth paying for. I'll look again at guitar pro I've got Band in a Box but I dont really like the sounds very much so I dont use it[/quote]

I suspect that most if not all tab readers are lacking in the sound department.
The sounds in Guitar Pro can be utter pants, but it's a useful "get out of jail card" - no substitute for the ears though, & on no account believe that the tab is accurate.

Great tool for writing your own lines though.

Pete.

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='692468' date='Dec 23 2009, 05:36 PM']I suspect that most if not all tab readers are lacking in the sound department.
The sounds in Guitar Pro can be utter pants, but it's a useful "get out of jail card" - no substitute for the ears though, & on no account believe that the tab is accurate.

Great tool for writing your own lines though.

Pete.[/quote]

I tend to use tab as I simply haven't the time to sit working out lines by ear, especially the ones that are not overtly obvious and hidden by layers of other instruments.

Songster itself, I've seen it. It's quite limited as to what you can use without subs, and the number of tabs available. Also some of the few I've looked at were woefully inaccurate. But it's ok for some things.