Why become a member? ×

Whoops forgot to introduce myself!

iconic

Appologies gentlemen, I suppose the correct form should be to introduce myself, then start posting!

OK, why bass: I have always loved the bass sound and most of favorite songs always have a great bass sound, grew up loving Level 42 and saw them in Gillingham Kent in the days when Love Games was 1st released, and then a2nd time down at Margate when True colours had just been released...come to think of it I also saw Rose Royce there as well and that bass player was the nuts too :lol:

I tried the piano when I was only 8 years old, my first teacher was a complete ass, and I used to hate going, then I had an old dear who was an proper alcoholic...so after 2 year I gave up, my ma wasn't too pleased as I sure she thought I would be next Liberace...... :) but I think bass always fasinated me from very early on, but only when played as the lead or as real strong upfront sound, no [b]da dum, da dum [/b]stuff :lol:

Then what finally pushed me into getting a bass was quite perverse....

1/ I used to be really into my motorbikes and MX but sold up after my best friend died, whilst racing on the road in 2001.

2/ I have a car sales and my original mechanic let me down too many times, I get a new mechanic via a friend in 2005 who is into bikes and I get back into enduro trail bikes.

3/ My new mechanics friends have enduro bikes, are a great bunch of guys and we ride together and become muckers.

4/ And low and behold a chance comment by one of the the guys I ride with, is that he wants a new guitar "why" I ask "do you play" ...well he has his own studio and they all bar the mechanic play or are learning to play instruments.....lead, bass, sax and an acoustic, well bugger me I never knew that :rolleyes:

5/ Buy a bass early this year and can't put it down.

But, I really am tone deaf (and colour blind too!) and have real trouble with notes being higher and lower, will never be able to sight read music, am ever thankful for tabs, but I'm getting my ear 'tuned in' ohh, I can't sing to save my life, have the first start of arthritis so everything is a struggle for me, but I simply love my music and can't belive that I can play a tune of sorts on a bass...it's so very satisfying :lol:

so there you are, short storey, long.

ohh, the bass influence thing....

Mark King...well I loved Level 42 until running the family!
John Taylor....wow I never really never knew just how talented this guy is!
Bernard Edwards...makes everything he plays seem so effortless!
Buddy "Hanks" Hankerson...when I can play that Aurra track Nasty Disposition, I will have arrived!
Mark Antone Adams

So playing since March and my bass favorites after a glass of vino I play very badly:

[b]Le Freak, Good times, He's the greatest dancer, We are family, I want your love

Girls on film night version, New Religion, Some like it hot

Canned heat, Foolsophy, Cosmic girl,

We got the funk, Make that move, Just a touch of love

no L 42 yet![/b][i][/i]

that's it I can post freely now :)

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='iconic' post='689067' date='Dec 19 2009, 01:54 PM']ohh, the bass influence thing....

Mark King...well I loved Level 42 until running the family!
John Taylor....wow I never really never knew just how talented this guy is!
Bernard Edwards...makes everything he plays seem so effortless!
Buddy "Hanks" Hankerson...when I can play that Aurra track Nasty Disposition, I will have arrived!
Mark Antone Adams

So playing since March and my bass favorites after a glass of vino I play very badly:

[b]Le Freak, Good times, He's the greatest dancer, We are family, I want your love

Girls on film night version, New Religion, Some like it hot

Canned heat, Foolsophy, Cosmic girl,

We got the funk, Make that move, Just a touch of love

no L 42 yet![/b][i][/i]

that's it I can post freely now :)[/quote]

Some good lines there - I've got most of what Bernard Edwards played on; iffy lyrics, but what a groove...