Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Quiet victories!

Bilbo

I had my first double bass lesson with Jakesbass last Saturday, the same day I got the bass. I got the instrument home and left it alone for a day due to other pressures. On Monday night, 7th Dec, I spent an hour working on the material Jake provided me with and made some immediate progress. For me, as I have said before on here, one of the barriers to my playing the upright related to difficulties I was having with pain in my hands which prevented me playing for more than a few minutes at a time. With Jake's help, even after one day, I was able to do things that I couldn't do before and was able to see improvements from when I last tried 8 years ago (ish). After three days practicinf, (in reality, three hours in total) I was able to play a rudimentary solo bass piece (mostly on the D and G strings, to be fair but not entirely) for over 4 minutes without any difficulties and with no residual pain in my left hand (or my right). I recorded some short improvisations on day one and day three which, despite their obvious shortcomings (weak intonation, clumsy phrasing, lots of extraneous noise etc), are startling, when compared to where I was last time I tried. And all with no pain or strain. I have a long, long way to go and have to remain focussed on the little details for some time yet but I wanted to share my new found enthusiasm and excitement at starting this journey.

The message? Never underestimate the benefits of a good teacher! Hoever good you think you are, some small direction from an experienced colleague can make a massive difference.

oh yaahh
thats the start of something good right there.
What's interesting mate is that the feel is there and the organic nature of the instrument lends itself enormously to that. Your right hand is making really good percussion already so when the left hand develops it's role a little more, facility will be yours. The ideas are clearly there already. :)

And that bass sounds good...

Edited by jakesbass

Its getting easier slowly. That low F is still a toughie but even that is coming along as I get more evenly balanced in the left hand fingering. The buzz is not in the results you hear per se but in the fact that I can do all that without any tears! So far, so good!

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='679675' date='Dec 9 2009, 10:33 PM']Its getting easier slowly. That low F is still a toughie but even that is coming along as I get more evenly balanced in the left hand fingering. The buzz is not in the results you hear per se but in the fact that I can do all that without any tears! So far, so good![/quote]

So.... Now you have migrated to the upright, you'll not be needing that Wal anymore......Come on, hand it over :)

Good playing and some good ideas. Your bass has a nice tone also, keep up the good work!!

• 1 month later...

Hey hey hey, want to hear some EUB blues? :)

This is one of the very first attempts to play blues on my EUB..

Hey, and save your tomatoes & eggs - I know that it's fluffy, out-of-tune maybe, but, I've tried my best..

Any comments are welcome.

regards,
Faith

PS I hope Bilbo doesn't mind my lil' intervention into his thread..

Edited by Faithless