Why become a member? ×

Help a newbie please

Phil66

Ello all,

Bottom line, I just bought a bass, what sub £100 amp should I get? I have a Peavey Bandit Transtube for my guitars could I use that or would a dedicated bass practice amp sound better? i only play at home in my home studio for my own enjoyment.

I was thinking of getting the Line 6 Lowdown 15.

Thoughts please :)

Phil

Actually I think the Bandit might be OK for practice duties, though obviously not ideal. As long as the volume is kept to sensible levels and is the sound is CLEAN, you won't do any damage. I've used a little marshall 40w guitar amp for bass without any damage.

Bass Guitar Magazine gave the LD15 an 'Outstanding Value' award in issue number 40...review [url="http://www.bassguitarmagazine.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=280:line-6-ld-15-bass-combo-issue-40&catid=38:amps"]here[/url].

p.s...."welcome"

Edited by ColinB

I kinda like the idea of the built in effects, i know it isn't ideal but I don't have much space any more lol and as i'm only learning :)

Given all of your experience is it worth waiting for the Jan sales?

Phil

Edited by Phil66

[quote name='Phil66' post='678457' date='Dec 8 2009, 08:58 PM']I kinda like the idea of the built in effects, i know it isn't ideal but I don't have much space any more lol and as i'm only learning :)

Given all of your experience is it worth waiting for the Jan sales?

Phil[/quote]

stuff waiting for sales mate. if you have the cash get it now,,,,,a can never wait for these things

ActuallyI agree with every post on this thread. At low vols you won't harm a decent Peavey guitar amp but the freq response will not be great. If you can afford it a dedicated bass practice amp will sound tons better. For low level practices with my bad round one of our houses I use a tiny marshall MB10 guitar practice amp and it's urvived 7 or 8 yeras of this treatment fine, sounds totally passable for practicing though some may say this is cruel behaviour.