Why become a member? ×

overpowering guitarists

munkonthehill

I don't mind our guitarist playing loud 'cos I love to play loud as well and he can't outdo me with my rig. However, in practice he plugs his Strat into his Marshall, cranks it up and gets a BEAUTIFUL sound; yet at gigs (we play small pubs) he mic's up (YES!) his Marshall and goes through the PA, thereby restricting his backline level and not getting a good tone. He then turns up gradually and of course the level through the PA gets louder too and drowns out the vocal. We never had any input into the mic'in up thing, he just turned up with it at a gig....
Of course, it is pointless discussing it 'cos he is a guitarist and don't they know best?! The disappointing thing is the loss of this beautiful tone he has in practice.....

Im going for a jam tomorrow with a mate of mine who plays electic guitar like a mofo. i havent jammed with him for ages though, as we are now in different bands, sadly.

when i first started playing with him he had a marshall jcm blah blah blah 100w head and 4x12 cab. sounded good at volume, but i said too him, man thats WAY to loud for jamming in you practivce room... have you seen those orange combos? next thing we're at a music shop swapping his half stack in for a orange rocker 30w 1x12 combo and extension cab. :rolleyes: quieter guitar player, AMAZING tone - he only ever used the extension cab on gigs.
went music shop with him again recently as he's started playing in a surf band and wanted a cleaner clean tone. he's now sold his orange gear (to my current bands guitarist) and is now playing through a 15w fender blues jr!

how many guitarists do you know who get gradually smaller and quieter rigs?!!?!? he's the only one ive ever met...

so maybe what you need to do is find a super sweet sounding combo or mini rig, that is quieter than what your guitarist has already, and convinve him to buy it :)

[quote name='yanto' post='689215' date='Dec 19 2009, 05:02 PM']so heres the question, why do guitarists turn up their amps to the point of drowning out everyone else, is there something in the rule book about this.

Cos they've got small cocks.[/quote]
because they have sh*t tone and don't know how to cut through a mix without having to dominate it