Why become a member? ×

Orange Crush Pix Bass Combo

Cat Burrito

Pretty much as the thread says really. I know there was some excitement around the tiny terror heads but these little combos look like fun for those on a budget.

[url="http://www.soundsliveshop.com/p/Orange_Crush_Pix_Bass_CR50BXT/OR-CR50BXT"]http://www.soundsliveshop.com/p/Orange_Cru...0BXT/OR-CR50BXT[/url]

Just for mucking about really & acoustic jams. I bought on looks, I'm sure it's hideously overpriced in some eyes but it just screamed retro cool to me

In an update (that possibly should have just been a PM to NiceGuyHomer! :) ) I thought I'd share my thoughts on this.

First up as a sideline Absolute Music haven't impressed me. I received generic emails stating I'd get contact on dispatch which I didn't. Not professional and not good service. As a plus it arrived within one working day (most online firms offer this) but the tolex at the back is slightly scuffed and the end pins to the kettle lead were bent and broken. Surely a very basic inspection prior to dispatch is not too unreasonable to expect? I have emailed them and I'll see what they have to say.

In terms of the amp. Fancy packaging. Even the tape around the box was customised with an Orange logo. Inside the card box was a very colourful box that immediately made me feel like I was somehow buying into a lifestyle. In a positive way.

The size of the combo is fair, bigger than a practice amp but half size of a small gigging combo. The tolex is thin and slightly badly finished at the back in places. From any kind of distance it looks stunning though. A very manageable weight and striking looks. The controls are what you would expect with Orange and I like these. I did momentarily get confused with how to plug it in and did have a muppet moment of wondering why I had no signal plugging a 51RI into the headphone socket! D'Oh!

Tonally it's a good sound. The correlation between the gain and the master volume isn't like with a tube amp (second muppet mistake and I was well aware this was solid state) so you can crank it very loudly without colouring the tone too much. I like this as I plan to put the double bass through it. I played around with both the volume and the tone controls and was able to get a fair range of tones that were pleasing. The 12" speaker feels solid. The tuner is cool and the lights look funky if you leave them on.

My overall feeling is that it will be useful for small acoustic jams, a light bit of home use and even use with light drum accompaniment at a VERY intimate gig. Not the most well built on close inspection but certainly on an acoustic stage it allows you to buy into a retro chic without blowing the budget. I'm pleased with it.