Why become a member? ×

Cabinets design and ohms question

jmsjabb

I have a 12" cab which I wish to put a bass speaker in for my littlemark 250.
Would I be better to find a 12" 8Ohm or 4Ohm speaker to use? The cab is 18"X18"X12.5" and ported with a full width port across the front of approx 1" high.
What kind of speaker will go in such a cab and give good all round sound, with a hint of clear rather than vintage. ( I liked the sound of the 10" ABM ashdown driver in my old combo )

[quote name='jmsjabb' post='670335' date='Nov 30 2009, 07:46 PM']I have a 12" cab which I wish to put a bass speaker in for my littlemark 250.
Would I be better to find a 12" 8Ohm or 4Ohm speaker to use? The cab is 18"X18"X12.5" and ported with a full width port across the front of approx 1" high.
What kind of speaker will go in such a cab and give good all round sound, with a hint of clear rather than vintage. ( I liked the sound of the 10" ABM ashdown driver in my old combo )[/quote]

Unfortunately you'll struggle to find a decent 4 ohm 12" so you'll almost certainly be better off with an 8 ohm driver. Which Ashdown combo was it that you liked?

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='670877' date='Dec 1 2009, 11:19 AM']Unfortunately you'll struggle to find a decent 4 ohm 12" so you'll almost certainly be better off with an 8 ohm driver. Which Ashdown combo was it that you liked?

Alex[/quote]
Alex
i was looking at an ABM c110 combo.
Celestion do an orange label 4ohm 12". Any good?

[quote name='jmsjabb' post='670910' date='Dec 1 2009, 11:47 AM']i was looking at an ABM c110 combo.
Celestion do an orange label 4ohm 12". Any good?[/quote]

The C110 has a decent sized enclosure for the one 10" so it's not too boomy in the mid-bass despite the high Qts speaker. If you can get that Celestion speaker cheap then it's worth a punt because it's still probably a much better performer than the Sica in the ABM, though it's a world away from the better neo 12"s.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='670978' date='Dec 1 2009, 12:46 PM']The C110 has a decent sized enclosure for the one 10" so it's not too boomy in the mid-bass despite the high Qts speaker. If you can get that Celestion speaker cheap then it's worth a punt because it's still probably a much better performer than the Sica in the ABM, though it's a world away from the better neo 12"s.

Alex[/quote]
This is the one I was looking at Alex.
[url="http://professional.celestion.com/bass/pdf/BN12-300S4.pdf"]Speaker[/url]
Still unsure if I should be looking at 4 or 8 Ohms.
If budget was say up to £80, what would you suggest to put in my cab to give me clean sounds from a 4 string and a little mark 250?

Edited by jmsjabb

Xmax (excursion) is fairly limited for a bass speaker and resonance is well above bottom E so don't expect thunderous bottom end. The frequency response promises a clean sound and the sensitivity is high so it would be quite loud for a single speaker. In other words you can't have everything but this speaker would promise the sort of response you say you are looking for and you can get it within your price bracket.