Why become a member? ×

Some Critisism

The_D

So, we have been gigging for a good year+ since this was recorded and are a damn site tighter than we were then...

The guitarist is still convinced he is week on the vocals (male) and the lead singer is more than coming into her own,

Our tunes on spankface:

[url="http://www.myspace.com/offthecuffky7"]http://www.myspace.com/offthecuffky7[/url]

Remember its a year on from these recordings and we have been giggin virtually every weekend and the guitard/singer is going live (ala one take) after about 2 weeks practice on Honky Tonk.

I'm sitting here after a night in the pub and decided to check our tunes out again and am quite happy with what I just listened to.

The main (female) vocs are quite weak but remember this is a year on and she is much stonger now, The Male vox are the same guitard is better these days and no quavery, unsure lyrics :). I aint improved much and the drummer is just as good (even though he was on a weird drumkit he wasnt used to, kudos to him).

I would be happy to hear those 3 tunes at a pub band gig personally.

Am I blinded by the fact I am in the band or am I being negative because I want to be picky?!

Only listened to listen to Honky Tonk Woman, but to be honest the vocals on the chorus are pretty ropey. The other thing is the production (especially on the vocals and drums) is incredibly lifeless and this really doesn't help.

Again, only in my opinion, your drummer REALLY needs to lay off the Crash.

Cheers,
James

[quote name='Moos3h' post='667279' date='Nov 27 2009, 12:44 PM']Only listened to listen to Honky Tonk Woman, but to be honest the vocals on the chorus are pretty ropey. The other thing is the production (especially on the vocals and drums) is incredibly lifeless and this really doesn't help.

Again, only in my opinion, your drummer REALLY needs to lay off the Crash.

Cheers,
James[/quote]

Cheers for the feedback.

We recorded it a long time ago in a little YMCA studio. Wasnt expensive and I suppose you get what you pay for. We really wanted to somehow record ourselves live at a gig but couldnt find a decent way to pull it off on the cheap so went this way.

On our drummer, I have no idea how to play drums so cant really give him specific tips but he's easily the loudest thing about the band. We have no idea how to quieten him down besides putting him in a box!

Hi mate.

Get yourselves a Zoom H4 or H2 portable audio recorder and record yourselves at a gig. £150 ish should do it and records straight to MP3, the quality is SUPERB!

Re: your drummer - it's not just a loudness thing, but a question of light and shade. The constant crashing is something that needs reigning in or you risk every song being delivered at a similar level and this gets very tiring as a listener. Took me a long time to realise this when I drummed, but it's an important thing to work on or the whole band suffers.

Cheers,
James

[quote name='Moos3h' post='667558' date='Nov 27 2009, 04:55 PM']Hi mate.

Get yourselves a Zoom H4 or H2 portable audio recorder and record yourselves at a gig.[/quote]

+1 on this. I know I'm a very different player from this time last year, and the band I'm in is completely different again in how we play together. By posting recordings from a year ago you can always claim that of course you're much better now.. :)

Only had a brief listen to Day Tripper, and the recordings didn't have any real energy. I know this is usually a result of production (especially on a budget) failing to capture that live and exciting vibe. If you get a zoom recorder (I have an Olympus LS-10 myself that I would highly recommend) you can really hear what the audience hears, plus some table conversation between songs! Just hand it to a good friend in the middle of the room and hit record.

As a drummer, I'd agree with the guys above - from the recordings your drummer is overplaying everything. He'll hopefully find out soon that it's much more satisfying to lock in and batter out a tight groove than to play a fill every 2 bars. And also loud does not equal good.

On the whole though, don't be discouraged, because you's are definitely not the worst band I've heard, and I'd be happy to get wrote off in the corner while you got on with the set!