Why become a member? ×

Rotosound strings

The Goatreich

I have always used Rotosound swing bass 5 string sets on my Ibanez Ergodyne 605 bass, which as far as I'm aware is a standard scale length bass. When restringing the B string I always in order to get up to the tuning I need (low G#) I always find that I very nearly run out of the thin part of the string and the main section just about comes into contact with the tuning peg. If I was to try and tune to standard B tuning this fat part of the string would definitely start to be wound around the peg.

Am I buying the wrong scale length strings?

Possibly - however, bear in mind that if you bought a shorter scale length string - the winding *might not* pass over the nut - and fall short. Rotosound do actual state the lengths of their strings on the website. You will see IIRC they have three different scale lengths available - however check that your type of sting has the different scales available. Finally - I'm not sure if the text is still on the Rotosound website - but apparently, string breakages due to winding the actually string round the tuning key are not covered by warranty. I guess it will be a case of measuring your scale length and how much room you have over the nut up to the tuning key to see if a shorter scale length will fit.