Why become a member? ×

Bass Gear Blown Up

Pete Academy

[quote]....Bass gear blow ups?....[/quote]
I rarely have gear break down on me and have only had 2 problems in the last 25 years. Once when I forgot the PA amp and then when I misdiagnosed a dying battery problem!

I had an amp blow a fuse in the 70’s and have carried a bag of fuses ever since, but they have never been used! I also carry spare leads but have never had a lead failure.

Maybe I'm lucky, but I try to buy the best, look after it with kid gloves and I never thrash anything. Maybe one reason is that It's also 25 years since I've been in a band with roadies!!

[quote name='Rasta' post='664398' date='Nov 24 2009, 09:55 PM']I had a Behringer head, my first bass head, got it out the box and plugged it in at rehearsal and pumph....the smoke set off the alarms :)
Blessing in disguise though...i got my money back (eventually!!!) and got a Hartke 3500...much better amp too![/quote]

Aw man. Was it those Ultrabass Behringer things? I used to have one ( still got it actually), set on fire on two seperate occasions. First time during a gig and left this horrible smell in the air and black smoke. Second time I put it down to my own stupid kindness of letting the support bands bassist use it. I went to get something to eat and came back for when we played. Alls fine, set up, sounds good, kick off the set. About 10 minutes into it, my drummer pointed out flames emenating from the fan on the back, then black smoke and finally no sound what so ever. I had a spare head so managed to save the day.
Turns out the previous bands bassist had been using a bass overdrive pedal, with the gain on full, whacked the gain on my head up full and kept knocking the master volume up.
Suffice to say I think this was the main cause of the fire.
Left it for a week and it worked fine after that. Still does to this day even tho it is now retired from my live rig.

Not blown up but sound checks at my local are a gag and a half...My new Trace Elliot rig trips the electricity off!
Nothing wrong with my amp, works fine at home, at rehearsal, in recording studio's...just the stage at The Shed in Leicester...I spose plugging it into a 4 gang that comes off of a 4 gang that ALSO is plugged into a 4 gang MAY have something to do with it...Jury rigging...LOL!

I find that I get better results by turning the lights on the front panel OFF, then turning it on, then dialing the lights in...
It IS annoying though and should someone want to borrow it (If they bringing the drums and can't fit the bass rig in), the amp always gets the blame...It's brand new and does this nowhere else LOL!

Edited by Kongo