Why become a member? ×

thd Hot plate

Chris Horton

has anyone used any THD Hotplates ?

I understand they plug in between your valve amp head and speaker cab so you can drive the amp hard and then turn the signal down so it is not too loud but still gives you the desired tone.

what do people think of them ?

im thinking of geting one as my amp is mostly used in a small ish hall

any thoughts greatly recieved :)

[quote name='Chris Horton' post='663223' date='Nov 23 2009, 09:50 PM']has anyone used any THD Hotplates ?

I understand they plug in between your valve amp head and speaker cab so you can drive the amp hard and then turn the signal down so it is not too loud but still gives you the desired tone.

any thoughts greatly recieved :)[/quote]

Our guitard used to use one with his Mesa Dual Rectifier Combo. He was having a repair job done to the amp and was advised either by his tech, or by Mesa via email, not to use a hot-plate. I don't know any more than that but it's food for thought

[quote name='Chris Horton' post='663223' date='Nov 23 2009, 09:50 PM']has anyone used any THD Hotplates ?

any thoughts greatly recieved :)[/quote]
not a great idea with bass amps as they tend to be more powerful and those THD hotplates wont be able to handle anything over 100watts really without catching fire. You shouldn't have problems cranking a 50-100watt head either.

im getting the feeling that buying a hot plate is not a great idea .

My rig is an Orange AD200 MK3 running a 410 cab and the 115 , i play a fender precision and a stingray 5 ( Stingray mostly at church )
The church hall that i play in is medium sized , It can hold about 250 people when full.
I a struggling with the eternal balance between getting " the tone " and keeping the volume down so it is appropirate in a church setting and does not blast the people on the front row .

any thoughts on how i can do that ?

any equipment that could be worth looking at ?

I thought about getting an Orange Tiny Terror amp as i heard that they are easier to controll but stil have the Orange tone .

Or what about getting hold of an old Orange 150 bass amp ????

Im so confued :)