Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

De-Fretting

maxrossell

In your opinion what's the best material to use for filling frets? At the moment I'm torn between getting visible lines made out of maple or something (it's been a while since I owned a fretless) or just having epoxy fillings stained the same colour as the neck. What do you reckon?

If you've already got dots on the board I'd go for maple - dots on their own might look a bit weird. If there are no dots then I would fill the lines with rosewood, ebony , walnut, or any wood that's dark enough to not show from a distance but will still give you lines up close.

Edit: There's not much point arseing around with colouring and applying epoxy if you only want to fill the fret slots, wood's quicker, easier to finish and will have the same wear characteristics as the fingerboard. Even if you wanted an epoxied board, I'd still fill the slots with wood.

Edited by henry norton

[quote name='henry norton' post='661953' date='Nov 22 2009, 05:35 PM']If you've already got dots on the board I'd go for maple - dots on their own might look a bit weird. If there are no dots then I would fill the lines with rosewood, ebony , walnut, or any wood that's dark enough to not show from a distance but will still give you lines up close.

Edit: There's not much point arseing around with colouring and applying epoxy if you only want to fill the fret slots, wood's quicker, easier to finish and will have the same wear characteristics as the fingerboard. Even if you wanted an epoxied board, I'd still fill the slots with wood.[/quote]

That's a very good point about the dots, that hadn't occurred to me at all. Thanks for your advice, I think I'll be going with maple.

• 4 weeks later...

I did a epoxy filled fret slot defret job not too long ago - it's what the chap wanted. it looked ok but not for me. its surprising how much i reiled on seeing the frets - i ended up slipping out of key a bit too easily! i'd suggest something more visible. Perhaps LEDs haha

check out:
[url="http://jacksinstrumentservices.com/my-work.html"]http://jacksinstrumentservices.com/my-work.html[/url]
for pics of the job

maple all the way

Jack