Why become a member? ×

Pickup problem

hillbilly deluxe

I have an Italia Modulus 3 with a strange pickup problem.This bass has 4 pups,one for each string.The G string sounds like it is being run through a compressor,also when played with a pick or fingers,the downstroke has a full sound,but when played on the up stroke there is a lack of volume/tone.
The bass is set up perfectly,intonation is spot on,there is no fret buzz,the pickups are all reading the same output.
I thought that the pickup heights were wrong,i had the same problem years ago on a strat,so tried all pickups at all heights,and the problem is still there,it's driving me mad. :)

i dont know this bass but signals from pups go to a pot...so i guess your 4 pups join somewhere...could be the place to look
low signal may mean either lack of output or lack of proper transfer to the next stage...the vol pot
ie poor connection...if it happens just like that its a puzzlement...
i think you will need to strip it out and check it with a meter
hot to earth should give the same reading as the others...they have to be disconnected
and casing to hot...for earth leakage...the casing is metal...lipstick style i take it

hope you do get it sorted and this helps you on your way
cheers

Edited by mrcrow

[quote name='geoffbyrne' post='662456' date='Nov 23 2009, 10:24 AM']If you're taking it apart anyway, swap the positions of the 'G' pickup and the 'A' and see if the problem migrates with the pickup then you can be sure it isn't a string problem.

G.[/quote]

check
this is the way to go...

You've got to accentuate the positive
Eliminate the negative
Latch on to the affirmative
Don't mess with Mister In-Between

getting a replacement pup...is this going to be easy

[quote name='hillbilly deluxe' post='662637' date='Nov 23 2009, 01:33 PM']G & D pups swapped over,problem has moved to D string,so it is the pup,but they are still all reading the same output.Plan B,new pickup.[/quote]

:)

missed this post...scrolled down too far

what output are you measuring...collective or singular

i do think the pup is not behaving well but if it reads a 6-8K..guessing a bit here..coil resistance it must be registering some string movement

good luck with it...as you say...if in doubt ...chuck it out

[quote name='hillbilly deluxe' post='663125' date='Nov 23 2009, 08:16 PM']Singular pickup readings,all,to all points and purposes the same.It is registering,but for some reason it is quiter than the others.
Replacement pickup will be MM type,body will need routing,and new scratchplate making.It may or may not get one,or two of the good pickups in the neck position.[/quote]

problem if not solved...resolved..!!

if you are going to get routing etc...and envisage 2 mm pups..now is the time to put them in

i like one but two seem to be in fashion

[quote name='hillbilly deluxe' post='664027' date='Nov 24 2009, 05:12 PM']It will get the MM,and either 1 or 2 of the lipsticks,all this will be done at the same time.The body is 2 piece,in that the front screws to the back,which needs to be seperated to get at the wiring and to take the pickups out.[/quote]

did you do all that to check the duff pup... :)

Yep,it's the only way.The pickup screws go through the pick guard at the front,and through the body at the bridge end,so,if you were to take the front or rear screws out,you would never get the springs back in.If the bass was'nt so playable it would be in the bin.It only rarely got used,T.V & video basically,when it was working ok,+ the wife bought me it. :)

[quote name='hillbilly deluxe' post='665429' date='Nov 25 2009, 06:30 PM']Yep,it's the only way.The pickup screws go through the pick guard at the front,and through the body at the bridge end,so,if you were to take the front or rear screws out,you would never get the springs back in.If the bass was'nt so playable it would be in the bin.It only rarely got used,T.V & video basically,when it was working ok,+ the wife bought me it. :)[/quote]

time for a quick come apart modification ..??

sounds a pain but no more than having to take of pickguards and strings etc