Why become a member? ×

Would you pay that amount?

Hutton

I was in 'Vintage & Rare' in Denmark St at the weekend. I was admiring a 1964 Lake Placid Blue precision and wondering if the credit card would stretch enough for me to make a purchase. I asked the price. The nice young lady said £8950. I said "oh right". As I beat a hasty retreat from the shop I spotted a 1965 Sonic Blue precision. I was gorgeous. I didn't even bother to ask what they were wanting for it. Apart from not having the money, I don't think that I would pay such an amount for a bass. It got me to wondering however, how many basschatters would shell out thousands for a pre CBS precision or jazz?

Ten years ago they would probably be selling that for £2k and we'd all be going "ooooh, too much" and in 10 years time it will be £20k and we'll still all be going "ooooh, too much"

Meanwhile the £3k ISA I bought 10 years ago is now worth £2.5k...

So, if you have the money and can just store it in a case with the right preservatives it represents a reasonable use of your investment money.
I'd need to win the lottery to actually play that on stage though.