Why become a member? ×

new Power tubes-6L6 types for my V4BH Ampeg

rodl2005

Hi, as title suggests, It's time for a new [b]matched QUAD[/b] of output tubes for my [b]AMPEG V4BH[/b]. :)
So SUGGESTIONS please!!!! I'm tempted to go for the [b][u]JJ 6L6GC's[/u] [/b]as I've used JJ's before & they've been good.
It's got the original tubes it came with - SOVTEK 5881's - in it at the moment. They've been going fine for 3 yrs or so, but it's starting to sound a bit dull & has a li'l less output than it did.
Anyone recommend any OTHER tube than the JJ's??? If so- why??

Thanks,
Rod

[quote name='rodl2005' post='656632' date='Nov 17 2009, 03:34 AM']Hi, as title suggests, It's time for a new [b]matched QUAD[/b] of output tubes for my [b]AMPEG V4BH[/b]. :)
So SUGGESTIONS please!!!! I'm tempted to go for the [b][u]JJ 6L6GC's[/u] [/b]as I've used JJ's before & they've been good.
It's got the original tubes it came with - SOVTEK 5881's - in it at the moment. They've been going fine for 3 yrs or so, but it's starting to sound a bit dull & has a li'l less output than it did.
Anyone recommend any OTHER tube than the JJ's??? If so- why??

Thanks,
Rod[/quote]

Watford Valve's most recent test of 6L6 valves (2005) said this in its conclusion:

6L6GC/5881 BASS GUITAR TEST
RESULT CONCLUSIONS.
[i]One valve was the clear winner for the
bass guitar tests. For depth and clarity
and the most headroom the Philips
7581A was a long way a head of the
pack.
In the Boogie The Philips 6L6WGB
sounded great really and fat sounding,
but put these in the Fender 135 bassman
and the distortion is to early, giving fat
too much midrange. The TAD
6L6WGC-STR was also suffering from
the same problems
The best current production 6L6GC for
bass was a close call between the big
bottom end of the Harma 6L6GC and the
nice top end punch of the original
Svetlana/ winged C 6L6GC. In the end
the nod was given to the original
Svetlana / winged C for the simply
reason the in the most common bass
amp applications of 100 to 135 watts.
Most bassist would struggle in terms of
volume. So the extra headroom of the
Svetlana/winged C 6L6GC could save
the day.[/i]

Full report...[url="http://www.watfordvalves.com/cgi-bin/documents/testreport_44.pdf"]here[/url].

This is their 1998 bass guitar valve test report....[url="http://www.watfordvalves.com/cgi-bin/documents/testreport_35.pdf"]here[/url].

Hope this helps your choice.

Yep another thanx from me to Colin B!!! Yep I'd read re & heard about the Winged C 6L6's -good idea!

ANDERS-- what power tubes does your V4BH have in it?? I've heard of some shipping with Sovtek 6L6's mine had Sovtek 5881's, others with Svetlana 6L6's (NOT the Winged C's) Apparently the Winged C's are Not really Svetlana's or vice/versa... But the 'Winged C' tubes Def. have a "Winged C" on 'em Where the Svetlana's have that name only & NOP wings or C's :)

[quote name='rodl2005' post='656648' date='Nov 17 2009, 10:13 AM']Yep another thanx from me to Colin B!!! Yep I'd read re & heard about the Winged C 6L6's -good idea!

ANDERS-- what power tubes does your V4BH have in it?? I've heard of some shipping with Sovtek 6L6's mine had Sovtek 5881's, others with Svetlana 6L6's (NOT the Winged C's) Apparently the Winged C's are Not really Svetlana's or vice/versa... But the 'Winged C' tubes Def. have a "Winged C" on 'em Where the Svetlana's have that name only & NOP wings or C's :)[/quote]
As you live in Australia,outside Europe by a few yards :rolleyes: ,i'm not sure about the svetlana /winged C and so on,but i've heard it's easier to get the tubes made in Russia or tjeckoslovakia or where ever they are made if you buy them in Europe.Not sure.There is an american kind...ah i don't know.
I use JJ's.Not the best sound perhaps but reliable,at least what i have heard,and it seems to be true of what i know.
I wouldn't mind to get better sound if it's possible by just changing brand of tubes though,that's why i thought this thread would be interresting.I'm no expert though,sorry to say..

[quote name='doctorbass' post='657244' date='Nov 17 2009, 08:36 PM']My V4BH (AV) went from Sovtek 5881s to a quad of Harma 6L6GCs. The difference is fantastic (as is the addition of a Barefaced Vintage!)

I took the advice that these amps like a 6L6GC specifically, and without costly testing of different types, I'd be inclined to go along with that advice.[/quote]
Those Harma's are on my next shoppinglist too.Good to hear you're happy with them.

Hmmmmm I hadn't even considered the Harma 6L6GC's Are they the ones from Watford valves?? Anders- you say the JJ's are reliable- thats good!!! I've heard they're a darn good sounding tube too. Are U using the JJ 6L6GC ?? or a KT66 ??? Yeah I was thinking of grabbing a 6L6GC either 'Winged C' OR 'JJ', I guess I'll now throw Harma 6L6GC's into the mix,- especially as you say you noticed a vast improvement in the sound Dr.
Thanx again.
Rod

[quote name='rodl2005' post='657553' date='Nov 18 2009, 01:19 AM']Hmmmmm I hadn't even considered the Harma 6L6GC's Are they the ones from Watford valves?? Anders- you say the JJ's are reliable- thats good!!! I've heard they're a darn good sounding tube too. Are U using the JJ 6L6GC ?? or a KT66 ??? Yeah I was thinking of grabbing a 6L6GC either 'Winged C' OR 'JJ', I guess I'll now throw Harma 6L6GC's into the mix,- especially as you say you noticed a vast improvement in the sound Dr.
Thanx again.
Rod[/quote]
I'm using JJ 6L6.
As i remember there wasn't that big difference in sound from the ones put in by the factory.
As i said,the sound didn't make me want to throw a party or something.Maybe the lowest of the lows is rounder and fatter with other brands,and maybe there are warmer sounding tubes.But,it still delivers a good sound.
I don't know if it's the 6L6 that makes the "glassy"sound in the hi mids,kind of the same heard in Mesa/Boogie amps.Just a smidge/a hint i mean.It might be the preamptubes,that i haven't changed yet.(Mine is bought new in 2004).
Please note that i'm comparing the sound to an SVT,so it's not that strange that i'm looking for a bigger and warmer sound.Ofcourse, I know,there is a Whole different lowend punch,higher volume and drive/grind in an SVT but i use it as a refference what it almost could sound like.

Thanx again for the replies- ALL info & opinions are VALUED!!!!

I was thinking HARMA 6L6GC, but I can probly get a quad of Winged C's for about the same price or cheaper, if U|I buy from the USA. Was gonna grab the JJ's from US anyway,,, But as DR bass threw Harma's a glowing report...... Hmmmmm. This is all good.
My Tech here in Hobart recommended Winged C's as he's had good results with em & very few failures- or amps brought back to him due to the WINGED C's crappin' out. So I MAY go that route... It's interesting to hear all the views of the different V4BH owners & their experiences
Thanks to all so far...........& Keep 'em comin' :-)