Why become a member? ×

Zoom 9150 Valve DSP

noirpunk

I had the Zoom 9050S - it's a 1u half rack processor. The effects were brilliant and the SS distortions, although a bit 80's were useable and fun. The only problem I had with the Zoom was the patch change delay. It wasn't bad, but I am uber fussy and found the drop in signal as I changed patches was just annoying. I'm not sure how well these Zoom's fit a parallel effects loop, as this would cure the drop in signal - however you might then suffer from phasing issues due to the digital nature of the product (the time it takes to convert your analogue signal to digital, then process it, then convert it back to analogue again).

That aside, Brian May used zoom effects (I think he uses TC Electronic now) - and his tone is Grrrrrrrrreat!

I bet the unit is cheap as chips? I say go for it! - I read this post as I am eyeing up some of the older valve based effects units too at the moment!

Oh it was cheap as chips, I've not got my hands on it yet as it's being held hostage until Christmas since the parents paid for it. Like I said I'm only really using it to give my head a bit of dirt, it's been upgraded with a Mesa Boogie valve. Am I right in saying I can hook it up through the effects loop despite it having a valve pre-amp?
The dropout isn't gonna be a problem cos I'll be using one effect all night :)

[quote name='noirpunk' post='662866' date='Nov 23 2009, 04:36 PM']Oh it was cheap as chips, I've not got my hands on it yet as it's being held hostage until Christmas since the parents paid for it. Like I said I'm only really using it to give my head a bit of dirt, it's been upgraded with a Mesa Boogie valve. Am I right in saying I can hook it up through the effects loop despite it having a valve pre-amp?
The dropout isn't gonna be a problem cos I'll be using one effect all night :)[/quote]

I am sure that you will be fine linking it up in the effects loop. The 9050S had seperate inputs for an 'instrument' input on the front and 'line level/ loop' input on the back. - I'm not sure if the 9150 does too - but the level controls will no doubt accomodate the different levels of the effects loop. Go for it! - If the input is a bit on the 'hot' side then you should be able to pull the input level down to stop it from overdriving too much, for example.

[quote name='dood' post='664178' date='Nov 24 2009, 07:01 PM']Let us know how you get on and what kinda sounds you can coax from the rack - gnarly distorted bass tones etc?![/quote]

I certainly shall, I'm looking for a nice growl not overly heavy. I'm gonna be running it through one side of my bi-amp which will sound siiiick.