Why become a member? ×

LM2 DI out pre or post eq?

fatback

[quote name='fatback' post='655938' date='Nov 16 2009, 01:30 PM']I can't see from the LM2 spcs on the MB site whether the LM2 balanced XLR out is pre or post eq.

Can anybody tell me which? I feel a Markbass coming on... :)

Thanks,

Fatback[/quote]

The LMII comes set as post EQ but its quite easy to change although you have to open it up.

[quote name='fatback' post='655945' date='Nov 16 2009, 01:42 PM']Thanks for that info. Post eq is fine for me.

fatback[/quote]

No problem.
I always use both my MB heads as post EQ unless going in to a big PA. It seems to add a bit more depth to the out front tone.

By the way, the XLR is line and not mic level. Just thought i'd add that in case you find the signal is too hot using a Mic cable.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='655950' date='Nov 16 2009, 01:45 PM']No problem.
I always use both my MB heads as post EQ unless going in to a big PA. It seems to add a bit more depth to the out front tone.

By the way, the XLR is line and not mic level. Just thought i'd add that in case you find the signal is too hot using a Mic cable.[/quote]

Oops, out of my depth there! I didn't know the cable would affect the level. How can you tell if there's just a bunch of XLR cables lying about?

Or have I misunderstood altogether?

fatback

[quote name='fatback' post='655994' date='Nov 16 2009, 02:51 PM']Oops, out of my depth there! I didn't know the cable would affect the level. How can you tell if there's just a bunch of XLR cables lying about?

Or have I misunderstood altogether?

fatback[/quote]

Im no expert on all this but line level is higher than mic level. I use a jack to XLR lead for mine.

Normally i think sound guys will use a mic lead to go from DI box or amp to stage box/mixer. Unless the input on the mixer can be attenuated the signal from the LMII might be to hot for it and distort as the mixer is expecting a low level mic signal.
I now go in to our desk using the line level 1/4 jack input on my channel using a XLR to jack lead and this gives a better signal match.

so bottom line, its nothing to do with the cable but where you plug it.

I think thats how it all works.

Edited by dave_bass5

Looks like the LM2 XLR out is line level then (they say 10vpp, whatever pp is).

From what's being said about DI, it seems that a mic level XLR Out would be vastly preferable. You don't want to have to use a sound guy's crappy DI box after spending a fair sum on a head, so you? Especially if you want to use the head's eq.

Food for thought there.

fatback

[quote name='fatback' post='656047' date='Nov 16 2009, 03:55 PM']Looks like the LM2 XLR out is line level then (they say 10vpp, whatever pp is).

From what's being said about DI, it seems that a mic level XLR Out would be vastly preferable. You don't want to have to use a sound guy's crappy DI box after spending a fair sum on a head, so you? Especially if you want to use the head's eq.

Food for thought there.

fatback[/quote]

DI outs are often quite hot. Some desks share the same extended range pre-amp between line and XLR anyway so you can plug in no problem, while others actually have a 20dB pad so they can cut 'hot' signals before routing them to a mic-level preamp. Most modern desks I've encountered will cope with the signal. But a few desks, especially older ones, don't have the range on the preamps and/or they switch off the XLR input when you engage the pad switch even though the signal ends up running through the same circuitry (I think the older Soundcraft Spirits might have done this?).

The solution is to buy/build an inline attenuator. This is equivalent to the 'pad' switch on a DI box which as far as I'm aware is normally just a resistor. You could probably wire this into one end of an XLR connector and have a short lead with your kit. I think you can use expensive resistors if you're a dedicated audiophile but in reality I think it's not gonna be a problem. This is the jobbie you need if you want to just buy one:
[url="http://www.studiocare.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=63259&zenid=s8n7p3ekadh0816ih6baklic22"]http://www.studiocare.com/store/index.php?...0816ih6baklic22[/url]

Bear in mind it's better not to use the attenuator unless you have to since you've got a better SNR at high level, and more pertinently it's one less connection to potentially fail!