Why become a member? ×

Fender Stu Hamm Urge II playing

liverpoolabc

Hi I recently purchased a Fender Stu Hamm Urge II bass, the neck is really fast and nice to play and you can get some really great sounds from the bass. However with all the pickups on the bass you can sometimes have problems with your right hand, ie not enough space to play.
Does anyone else have the same probs with bass and if so how do you overcome it?
Cheers :)

I had an Urge Mk1 and it was fantastic.

Never had a problem with space to play, but I would put my thumb on top of the P pickup. Pick-wise, I had to use less pick to avoid the pickups, but that wasn't too bad.

The Urge II never really got the plaudits it deserved. You have one heckuva bass :)

I have the Mk1 (32"). I don't find this a problem until it comes to 'popping' (which I rarely do anyway), as ( For the information of non urge owners) there is not much space between the neck pick up and the neck itself. This in itself seems odd because Hamm is obviously a slapper and popper (and everything else)

What height have you got the pickups? Could you drop them a bit to allow more room for your fingers to get in there?