Why become a member? ×

What pick-ups to choose?

TheButler

Hey folks,

I'm looking at pick-ups, P/J. I'm thinking actives, but wired so i can switch to passive if the sh*t hits the fan. I understand this rules out EMGs? Which is a pity as i reckon they'd have been perfect for my application.

I play heavy, post-rock - Mogwai, This Will Destroy you, 65days, Red Sparowes, ISIS etc.

I need the monstrous, low-end thunder of the P-Bass, clarity of Jazz, with articulation of the everything in between on tap... not asking for much then :)

So, what would people recommend?

Just replaced my standard US precision pickup with a Villex VP pickup (split type only, no bridge pickup). Totally passive system with a mid 'shape' control, usual tone control and volume.

The range of sounds is incredible for a passive system. Can go from thunderous lows with crisp highs to a more standard 'p' sound.

[quote name='zero9' post='654501' date='Nov 14 2009, 02:31 PM']Just replaced my standard US precision pickup with a Villex VP pickup (split type only, no bridge pickup). Totally passive system with a mid 'shape' control, usual tone control and volume.

The range of sounds is incredible for a passive system. Can go from thunderous lows with crisp highs to a more standard 'p' sound.[/quote]

villex seem to have designed a pup with good vibes

they arent available in the UK