Why become a member? ×

Anyone using a Marshall JMP-1 preamp?

Dood

I'm just intrigued to hear if anyone has done - I'm expecting there to be a low end roll off, but that's not gonna be a problem as I can just mix all the bottom in in my rig - Yup, i thought it might be an interesting addition to my rig, given the MIDI implementation.

Thing is - now that they are getting rare, the prices are crawling up!

Anyway, would be interested to hear what you guys have tried. Speak to ya later!

Dood.

I had one for a long time, since they came out till about 2005. I used it in my guitar rack which also had a triaxis. Tried both on bass, passable sounds but low end roll off on JMP 1 and not to me, a useable sound unless for specific effect. The triaxis was better for clean bass but not as good as a dedicated bass preamp either.

Eventually I sold both and started to use fender showman based bass preamps for guitar: they were cleaner, quieter, had tons of headroom, and did the fender thing. I now us a READ purity for guitar. I still use midi via midi controllable mixers, and I get my distortion sounds off a custom made 1U rack unit by OM labs.

The JMP 1 was okay for clean guitar sounds but was good-ish for mostly distorted sounds. The Traixis was much better for clean tones, had a wider pallette of distortion tones but could not do the marshall distortion thing like the JMP 1. I am looking for a used JMP 1 for some distortion type sounds for recording and the prices have been 150 - 200, have been that way for a few years.