Why become a member? ×

The Most Suitable Strings?

Lew-Bass

As I won't be able to get a new bass until around Christmas, and the B-string of my 5 string fretless isn't required in my band currently (coupled with the difficulty I find with the wide, shallow neck), I'm going to use my 4-string Jazz. The strings are completely and utterly dead on it and therefore the bass sounds awful. So, I'm looking to get some new strings for it , preferrably ones that I can transfer over to my new bass in a couple of months time

I play in a metal band (in standard tuning), and I like a warm, full tone with 'focused' mids, with the furthest I venture to usually being the 3rd string. I play with my fingers so I want strings that can be played very fast as easy as possible

I was thinking of D'Addario Pure Nickel Half-Rounds or D'Addario Chromes Flatwound in regular light gauge, but any other suggestions are welcome

Cheers
Lewis

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='640087' date='Oct 29 2009, 02:40 PM']DR Fatbeams. 40-100. They feel a lot lighter than they are & the tone is huge and rich.[/quote]

Thanks for that, had a look on talkbass and it seems they re-iterate what you say.

Out of interest, are the coated strings just another model they sell un-coated? If so, which one?